Snowglobe

Hilda wakes up early in the morning, quietly she gets out of bed and walks to her window. As she opens the curtains she sees that there is a thick layer of snow outside. Her heart jumps with joy, not only will she get presents today, there is also snow!

Maybe she could build a snowman outside her house or hold a snowball fight with her friends. She would have an amazing day anyway.

She goes back to bed, her parents rather don't have her out at this time in the morning, Hilda knows that very well. Back under the warm blankets she tries to get just a bit more sleep.

It's time!

Hilda can hear her parents footsteps and whispering in the hallway, so she gets dressed and leaves her room.

Just before lunch her aunt arrives.

Hilda loves her aunt very much, she is a kind woman and always pampers her.

When her aunt enters the room she has a big box with her.

"Natalie, you know better than to spoil the girl so much." Her mother tells her sister.

"Well it's just the time of year to spoil such well-behaved kids like her." She smiles and gives a box to Hilda: "Be careful, it might break if you aren't."

Hilda immediately starts being more gentle with the box, when she gets everyone's approval she opens the box carefully.

In it there is a giant snowglobe, in it is a giant Christmas tree, surrounded by little houses.

Hilda looks up in awe: "Thank you auntie!" her eyes shining like a thousand stars.

Her aunt smiles at her: "Do you like it?"

"Yes, Yes, I love it!"

Carefully she shakes it a little, it makes it snow in the little village!

"Auntie..."

"Yes."

"Do you think there might be people living in the village?"

"If that makes you happy, then sure." Her smile is warm and comforting.

Hilda and her aunt take the snowglobe to her room and place it gently in a great spot, one where it stands safe and is able to be seen from any side of the room.

After lunch Hilda decides to go outside to play with her friends, she puts on her snowshoes, her warmest jacket and her gloves.

"See you soon!" Hilda calls out to the rest.

"Just be back before it gets dark!" Her father calls back.

As she opens the door she notices that it has started to snow again, heavily. Maybe even violently.

The snowflakes fly around everywhere.

Then the sky starts to break.

It breaks and shatters.

Shards fall down.

And then the blood rain starts.

Coloring the cold snow a hot, dark red.

The smell of iron can be smelled everywhere.

In just a few seconds everything has turned red.

A woman sits crying in a corner.

"ImsosorryImsosorry!"

She can't stop herself from apologizing.

The tears fall down like a waterfall, creating short-lasting stains in the old carpet.

"For the last time Hilda! THERE. ARE. NO. PEOPLE. LIVING. INSIDE. THIS. THING!!!"

Hilda whimpers.

"For god sake, GET THE FUCK UP AND LISTEN TO ME!!"

Hilda starts apologizing again, she can't control it, but it makes her husband get even more upset.

He keeps yelling and yelling at her, she doesn't really understand what he is saying anymore.

Is it really my fault? She wonders.

I don't even know what I did wrong?

Her husband is completely red-faced from anger.

So much anger.

He yanks her by her hair.

Then he takes her most prized possession.

Her snowglobe.

He takes it in one hand and hits her with it.

And again.

And again.

TWHACK!

TWHACK!

CRACK!!!

The glass shatters and the man kills his wife with the broken snowglobe.

Blood and water gets mixed and drips with the snowflakes onto the floor.

It doesn't take long for the police to arrive, the neighbors called. For a long time they had always looked away to what happened in that house, but the last blood curdling scream was enough for them. They did what they never thought they would do, calling the police.

The husband was arrested at the spot, but the damage was already done.

Hilda will never move again nor will she ever talk about the people living inside the globe again.