Chapter 8

My alarm makes me groan out loud, and I grab my pillow from under my head, pulling it down over my eyes. My head pounds with exhaustion. My sleep was restless in scattered thoughts, my body still stinging from Cash's touch. The memory of how he dominated me in the locker room causes a throbbing ache to build between my thighs. I slap my legs shut when I'm hit with the painful memory of that strawberry blonde barging through the door. Nauseated with humiliation, I push away any temptation to feel his touch.

I reach my hand out and blindly fish for the cell phone on my nightstand, knocking over a picture of my mother and me. I sit up and brush my curls out of my face, sighing. I reach over the side of my bed and pick up the framed photo, placing it back on my nightstand. Her once-loving arms are wrapped around me while I smile at her. My long brown curls are pulled into a high ponytail, and I have on my favourite pink knit sweater. I'm only twelve years old and have braces on my teeth.

I smiled to myself at how much we looked alike. I've always loved this picture because... she looks happy...and healthy—even though she wasn't.

I sigh, place the picture back on my nightstand, and then look down at my phone to catch a glimpse of the time on my screen. I have about thirty minutes to pull myself together and get down to the arena. Today is one of the most significant marketing events of the year: Military Appreciation Night. The league raises money for military families to celebrate the armed forces. Fans look forward to it all year. Following a charity game played by the Bexley Bruisers against the Providence Jaguars, three vehicles will be given to three deserving veterans and their families.

I have been diligently preparing for this event for the past few months. I scramble through my wardrobe and put together a patterned blouse with a chunky necklace and an A-line skirt. I quickly apply my foundation and mascara, scarf down a piece of peanut butter toast and make my way out the door.

_______

Pulling myself out of the steady movement of people shuffling under the hot afternoon sun, I move along the concrete with speed, passing the stage of local entertainment and toward the red carpet leading into the arena. I spent my morning diligently ironing out the details of today's itinerary, and I am finally ready to trade in my stuffy office for some fresh air.

Shifting my eyes away from the crowds of people tailgating in the parking lot, I briefly acknowledge three girls interviewed by the local news. They all giggled, wearing child-sized jerseys with BROOKS on the back and his number on their cheeks.

Ugh. Puck Bunnies.

I discreetly roll my eyes and huff as I turn toward the media tent. I spot Lyndsey in the distance, waving her skinny arms frantically above her head. She looks like a crazy person and entirely out of place wearing a pair of Jimmy Choo's and a Cartier watch, blinding my eyes from its glimmer. I laugh out loud, watching her fight the movement of the cheering crowd, thankful and relieved for her lunacy to help distract me from all thoughts of seeing Cash.

"Look at you, all cute and on the job," she says, walking toward me.

"What are you doing here?" I fumble with my clipboard. "Didn't you have a lunch date with Olivia?"

She flicks her long brown curls over her bare shoulder. "I did...but Louis asked me to be his date... and you know I can't resist getting all dolled up."

"You better not break that man's heart," I say, pinning her with a glare to let her know I'm serious.

Lyndsey laughs, throwing her head back and pressing her hand against her chest. "You make me sound like I am some sort of man-eater."

"You are." I chuckle, pushing through the crowd. "And Louis is a nice guy...so don't you dare hurt him."

Lyndsey catches up to me. "Geez, Quinn, what's with the sudden loyalty to Louis?"