Chapter 16

The next few days are like a blur. It isn't easy to focus on anything other than remembering the look on Cash's face when I told him I chose my education over moving to Santa Anna with him.

Work should be a great distraction. But in reality, when your main job is dealing with a mob of media regarding your ex and his recent NHL contract, it's a nightmare. He is everywhere except the one place he should be.

With me.

The internet has been my worst enemy. I even disconnected earlier today until Theo rushed into my office in a panic because I hadn't updated the Bruiser's Facebook and Twitter feeds with the most recent article on Cash, posted by Hockey Times.

Sitting in my office, I stare at the screen, hesitant to reconnect. Because once I do, I know I will be slapped with a picture of Cash geared up in his Bruisers equipment, slicing across the ice. Sure enough, he is illuminated on my screen the second I reconnect.

My body starts to shake as my eyes scroll through the article:

Tornados Recall Cash Brooks from AHL Bexley Bruisers

His conditioning stint is over. Cash Brooks is back with the Santa Anna Tornados.

The Tornados announced that they recalled the hotheaded winger from the Bexley Bruisers of the American Hockey League one year after sending him down to the minors.

In 76 games with the Bruisers, Brooks had twenty-one assists and thirty-six goals.

Brooks' assignment to Bruisers came just a few hours after he fought with one of his Tornados teammates before the team's departure to begin a four-game road trip through Arizona and California. He had previously missed the last four games with a suspected drinking problem.

With Brooks recalled, the Tornados reassigned Arnie Gibbons back to Bexley.

Substance abuse and his irate temper have played a part in Brooks' offensive struggles of late. The 23-year-old winger has spent twice as much time in the penalty box as he has on the ice in his last 23 NHL games over the past three seasons. However, his lockout-shortened campaign was cut even shorter due to a suspension after he raced across the ice to deliver a vicious, late, blindsided headshot to an opposing player.

"I know I've lost my way on the ice through my fists, and I know I can be better than that. I've come a long way since then. The game is in me to play, and I will," said Brooks, who has a cap hit of $5.25 million per season, last Monday.

The Tornados returned home from their four-game trip with only one win and three of a possible eight points against their Pacific Division foes.

The Tornados now open up a six-game home stand, beginning Thursday against the Arizona Sharks.

Since our blowout, he has not once tried to contact me. And as hard as it is to accept that things are over between us, it is even harder to accept that he doesn't seem to care. I am so desperately in love with him that my heart hurts. This is why I need to let him go; we both need to pursue our goals, even without each other.

"Christ, Quinn. You look like hell." I jump at Lyndsey's voice, turning to face her. She stands in my office doorway with a furrowed brow, wearing a tight royal blue dress and nude wedges. "We can't go clubbing tonight with you looking like that. Did you even brush your hair this morning?"

I shrug. "I don't remember." Letting out a sigh, I get up from my chair. "Why are you at my office? I said I'd meet you and the girls after work."

"Because I'm worried about you, sitting here, flooded with news about Cash daily." She tilts her head to the side, studying me. "Has he called?"