Ch.6 ~ Explanations

Y/n's POV

The sounds of both mine and Xavier's footsteps echoed off the walls of the tunnelled pathway we were following. The passage narrowed in some places before widening once again in others.

"How far do you think this leads? I'm starting to get really worried and the pools of blood on the floor ain't helping to ease my anxiety." I ask Xavier as I follow behind him, ducking slightly as we pass under a part of the tunnel with a dipped ceiling.

"I'm not sure, I'm not seeing any exits nearing... Can I ask you something?" Xavier answers me.

"Sure." I nod though he doesn't see as he continues to lead the way.

"How come a wanderer kidnapped your friend, and why? Surely if there were wanderers near by your watch or evol should have informed you?" He asks, glancing back momentarily before facing ahead once more.

I sigh. "Honestly, I was just incompetent." I say frowning. "And stupid." Xavier glances back at me once again confused.

"I mean, Rafayel hired me as his bodyguard yet all I ever do when I'm there is sit or sleep on his sofa while he paints or I wander around the studio. We very rarely converse in conversation. When Rafayel paints, he enters this kinda mind set, he's so focused that when I've tried talking to him in the past it's gone unheard. It's fun though watching him frown at his paintings and scratch the back of his head as if judging if the colour he mixed and used was the right choice. Of course it always is. His paintings are magnificent and truly beautiful." I chuckle softly to myself, my gaze on the floor as I walk.

"Anyway, when I arrived today we engaged in a quick conversation before he turned back to his work, and I, of course, sat on the sofa huffing that there was nothing to do and dwelling on my boredom. As I laid down on the sofa basking in the sunlight which warmed the room, I complained to myself, almost wishing that something would happen so I'd have something to do other than sit and listen to the sound of his brush strokes. Then they stopped and the room was eerily silent which alerted me something was wrong. When I opened my eyes I saw the art Rafayel was working on was torn and blood was all over the floor with Rafayel missing." I say slowly, guilt lacing my tone.

"Careful what you wish for I guess." My voice was barely above a whisper though still echoed off the walls of the quiet cave.

"None of this is your fault." Xavier throws over his shoulder. "You had no way of knowing that a wanderer would show up. We all wish for things when bored. Doesn't mean we always intend for them to happen."

I stare at Xavier's back with a frown, the guilt not subsiding. "Still though, I can't help but feel guilty. Besides, had I maybe been paying more attention to my job, Rafayel would probably still be safe in his studio." I sighed.

"Probably." Xavier shrugs. "Or you'd have ended up fighting the wanderer and still getting hurt, there's no point in dwelling on the what ifs when they won't come to happen... wait so did you sense the wanderer then?" Xavier glances back at me with a questioning look which I shook my head to.

"Strange..." Xavier says then pauses in his tracks. I come to a stop behind him about to speak when he shushes me. "Hear that?" He asks.

Confused, I listened closely trying to hear what he was hearing and after a few seconds the sounds of low groans echoed throughout the tunnel.

"Looks like we're close." Xavier says, pulling out his sword.

"That's Rafayels voice." I say in worry as I grab my guns.

"Stick close to me and stay alert." Xavier whispers as we slowly start creeping our way towards the end of the cave tunnel. Xavier dimming the light ball in his hands as we drew closer and closer to the sounds of painful groans.

~~~

To Be Continued