Chapter 1: Katniss

I stumble out of Haymitch's house, barely able to stand on my own feet. I start making my way home but trip and fall into the snow. I start trying to pick myself up off the ground but end up falling back down. I hear a door open and footsteps come towards me. I turn my head to see Peeta's warm blue eyes.

"Katniss?" he asks. "Are you okay?" I shake my head and try to get up again before falling down again. "Come on, let's get you inside." He picks me up like a small child and carries me inside his house. He lays me on the couch and covers me in a blanket before leaving my sight.

My stomach starts to churn and I struggle to get up. When I finally get on my feet, I stumble to the bathroom and vomit into the toilet. The alcohol burns three times worse coming up. I hear someone click on the light and Peeta comes up to kneel next to me and holds back my hair, gently rubbing my back.

"Katniss, have you been drinking?" he asks, "You reek of alcohol."

"Yeah," I say, "I was paying Haymitch a visit and I don't know, the whiskey made me feel better after, you know, the announcement." I lean my head against the wall and start crying.

"Hey, shhh, Katniss," Peeta says. "Its all gonna work out. I'm gonna make sure you get home, wether it's as a mentor or a district partner." He gently pulls me to him and I bury my head in his chest as I continue to sob. My sobs start turning into small hiccups as Peeta rubs my back.

"Come on," he says, helping me up as he stands, "Lets get you cleaned up." I nod and follow him out of the bathroom. I start towards the door but Peeta stops me. "Katniss, you can't leave."

"Why not?" I ask.

"Because if you get caught out this late, the head Peacekeeper will have you publicly executed as a warning to those who think about breaking curfew," he says.

"I'm already as good as dead," I say reaching for the handle.

"Katniss, please," he says. "Don't make me watch you die." I sigh and turn to him.

"Can I take a shower?" I ask him. "I'm kind of tired of smelling like spirits, vomit, and shame."

"Yeah, there is one just off my bedroom, use whatever you need," he says. "Do you need something to wear?" I look down at the nasty clothes I'm wearing and sigh.

"Yeah," I say.

"Take whatever you need from my dresser," he says and I nod before making my way upstairs.

I end up taking one of Peeta's shirts and a pair of his boxers. I take a long shower and almost feel like crying again, but it's not like I really don't have any tears left. I'm interrupted from my sulking by Peeta knocking on the door.

"Katniss? Are you okay? You've been in there for almost an hour," he says.

"Yeah I'm fine," I call back, "I'll be right out."

"Okay," he says. I get out of the shower and dry off with a soft, fluffy, black towel. I dress in Peeta's clothes and gather up my own. I walk out to find Peeta waiting for me, sitting on his bed. I look down awkwardly.

"I should probably call Mother," I say. "Where's your phone?"

"I already called her Katniss," he says. "Its almost midnight."

"Thank you, Peeta," I say. "For everything you've done. I haven't been exactly fair to you through everything we've been through and I'm so sorry for that."

"Katniss, I've told you before, I was wrong to try to hold you to things you said and did in the games," he says. I walk over and sit next to him and place a hand on his shoulder.

"I hate how I keep making you pick up the pieces," I say.

"Katniss, I don't mind," he says. "You know how I feel about you. I'm always going to be here when you need me."

"Peeta, I'm going into the games no matter what. You've got a fifty-fifty shot. And if you go in there with me and it works out how you plan, you aren't gonna be able to be here for me," I say. "Not that I'm gonna let you die."

"What do you mean?" he asks. I look down at my hands. "You don't plan on coming home do you? What kind of deal did you make with Haymitch?"

"I made him promise if it was you and me in the arena again, he tries to get you out this time, not me," I say.

"Katniss, no!" he says. "I'm not gonna let you die."

"You have to Peeta," I say. "You need to live your life, forget about me. Just take care of my family for me please."

"No Katniss. I'm not gonna let you do that," he says. "I know we won't ever be what I imagined. I'd be happy to die knowing you and Prim and your mother are okay, and that the girl I love is safe and happy."

"But what about you Peeta!?" I cry. "What about the boy I love!?"

"What are you talking about?" he asks. I look at him with tears in my eyes.

"I love you Peeta," I say. "I think I always have. I put my heart in a box and locked it away a long time ago. But during that time in the cave, somehow you opened it. I tried to push you away after our games because I didn't want to grow close to someone. I didn't want to fall in love. But I already had."

"Katniss, I had no idea," he says. "I've been so cold to you because you broke my heart, but I feel like I hurt you more than you ever hurt me."

"I deserved it Peeta, I deserved every cold look you've given me and to be pushed away the way you have," I say.

"I just wish I hadn't done all this to you," he says. "I wish I hadn't hurt you." We stare at each other for a while, the room completely silent. Very slowly, he leans in and so do I.

The kiss is gentle and passionate and awakens the burning I felt in the cave. Peeta runs his hands through my hair and I cradle his face in my hands. Somehow we end up laying on the bed, me on top of Peeta. I pull away and start trailing kisses down his jaw and down to his neck. Peeta pushes me up by my shoulders, forcing me to pull away.

"Katniss, you need to stop," he says.

"I don't have to do anything," I say. I try to continue but Peeta holds me away at arms length.

"Katniss, you're drunk," he says.

"I'm not that drunk," I say. "I want this."

"I don't want you to regret this in the morning," he says.

"I won't. I've wanted this for a very long time," I say. I lean down again and this time Peeta lets me.

And as snow blows around in the coal dust filled air outside, Peeta and I are whisked away by the night and the love for each other that burned in our hearts that had finally come to the light, making me admit the truth.

I had fallen in love with the boy with the bread. And I didn't regret it one bit.

At least, not that night.