Chapter 3: Peeta

Ever since the night of the Quell announcement, Katniss has snuck into my house almost every night only to leave before the sun comes up. She says that she wants to spend the time she has left with me to make up for all the pain she put me through, to just have me hold her and tell her everything is gonna be okay, even though she knows very well it's not.

She doesn't think she's coming home this time. I'm not gonna let that happen. She's gonna come home, even if that means I don't.

Something has been really bothering her though. She's accepted the fact that she might not come home, not that I'm not going to do everything in my power to make sure she does. She's embraced it in fact, already making deals with people to make sure that if she perishes, Prim and her mother are taken care of. So I don't really know what could be disturbing her so much.

"Katniss, are you okay?" I ask. She just sits on the edge of my bed, aimlessly braiding and unbraiding her hair.

"I'm fine Peeta," she says.

"I can tell something's bothering you," I say.

"It's nothing to worry about," she says.

"Then why are you so on edge," I ask her.

"I can't tell you," she says.

"You can tell me anything Kitten. You know that," I say. "Why not this?"

"Because I just can't," she says.

"Katniss, I'm just trying to help you," I say.

"I know you are but, I just can't tell you this," she says.

"Did I do something to make you upset?" I ask.

"No, not really," she says.

"But I did do something," I say. "Because whatever it is, I'm sorry Katniss. I didn't mean to hurt you like this."

"It's not your fault Peeta," she says. "It's mine."

"Katniss, I'm begging you, please tell me what is wrong so I can help," I beg her. She looks at me with tears in her eyes and then turns her body to face me.

"I'm pregnant," she says looking down barely audible.

"You're what?" I ask, kind of in shock.

"I'm carrying your baby Peeta," she says a little louder. "If I wasn't going into the games, you'd get to be a father."

"Katniss, this is amazing!" I say trying to pull her into a hug but she pushes me away.

"No it's not Peeta!" she cries. "I'm gonna die in that arena and this baby is gonna die with me!"

"No you are not, I'm gonna get you both out," I say. "I'm going to do everything I can to make sure both of you are safe."

"Peeta, I'm going to be almost eight months pregnant when I go in there. Every single person there is an experienced killer. If anyone finds me, I'm a goner," she says.

"I'm going in there with you," I say. "If I'm not called, I'm volunteering. I'm willing to give my life to keep you safe. Both of you." I try to lay my hand on her stomach but she pushes it away.

"I can't let you do that," she says. "I don't want to have to choose between you or our child living and if I have to go in there with you, when I die I want you to cut our child out of me so at least you'll have him. But if you can't, there will be another girl and you can always have another child with her."

"No Katniss, that's not going to happen," I say. "I will never be able to replace you or our baby. But you can replace me. There is already someone waiting in line."

"But I don't love Gale like I love you Peeta," she says. She starts sobbing again and this time when I attempt to pull her into my arms, she allows me to. "I can't raise this child without his father. If I can't be by your side, I don't want to live on anymore."

"Please stop talking like that Katniss," I say. "Lets just lay here together for a while and worry about all this when everything is closer to happening. Right now I just want to hold you in my arms."

"And right now, I just want you to hold me so even if its only for a moment, everything will seem alright," she says.