Chapter 2: Katniss

I wake up to someone's arm wrapped around me and sunshine in my eyes. I try to roll away but the arm keeps me me pressed to its owner. I open my eyes and find myself somewhere I know fairly well. I'm in Peeta's room.

I look at myself and realize I'm not wearing anything. Last nights events flash back through my mind and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I mean I knew I wanted this but with going back into an arena, I can't be sure this was the right thing to do.

I feel Peeta start to wake up and I turn to face him. He blinks open his ocean blue eyes and smiles at me, causing me to return the smile.

"Hey," he says.

"Hey," I say back.

"You okay?" he asks.

"Yeah, why?" I ask.

"Because I heard its supposed to hurt you the first time," he says.

"It did at first, but it got a lot better," I say. "I'm fine." He tucks my bangs behind my ear and I smile at him.

"Have I told you how beautiful you look without that scowl on your face," he asks.

"Yes Peeta," I say laughing. "You've made that point quite a few times."

"Well I mean it," he says. He gently kisses the crown of my head and I look over at the time.

"Well, as much as I would love to lay here in your arms all day, I need to get home," I say. "And I bet your father wants you at the bakery by now." Peeta looks at the clock and sighs.

"Yeah," he says. "You are right." I slip on Peeta's T-shirt that still lays beside the bed and gather my clothes from yesterday before disappearing into the bathroom to get dressed. When I come back out, Peeta is sitting on the end of his bed buttoning his shirt.

"I gotta go now," I say. He stands up and kisses my temple.

"I know," he says.

"I'll see you as soon as I can," I whisper although there is no one else to over hear.

"Okay," he says. I give him a quick kiss before walking out. I walk across the yard to my house, the snow crunching under my boots. I open the door to my house and find my mother and Prim sitting at the table for breakfast.

"Katniss! I was so scared when you left!" Prim says hopping out of her chair and running to me. Her arms wrap tightly around my waist and I smile as I hug her back.

"I'm okay, I was with Peeta," I say. "He told me he called."

"He did but Prim was already asleep by then," my mother says. "Have you eaten?"

"No, I woke up, said goodbye, and came here," I say.

"Really? It's not like you to sleep in late," Prim says.

"I had a hard night Prim," I say. "I just found out I'm going back in the arena in about eight months."

"I don't want you to go back!" she says.

"I know, but this time I can prepare, train like a Career," I say. My mother sets a plate of buttered toast and a cup of apple juice on the table for me. I give her a nod of thanks before sitting down and eating.

"Can I go lay down?" I ask.

"Yes, of course," my mother says. "But why?"

"I think I have a hangover," I say.

"Were you and Peeta drinking?" my mother asks.

"No I went to Haymitch's before Peeta found me trying to drag myself home through the snow and brought me inside," I say.

"Okay," she says. "You go feel better." I nod before making my way upstairs to my room. I lay on my bed for about ten minutes before I hear Prim come in.

"Katniss, are you okay?" she asks.

"I think I'm hungover but other than that, fine. Why?" I ask.

"I can tell something is bothering you," she says.

"Nothing's bothering me," I say.

"Katniss, I can tell that you are uneasy about something, just tell me," she says.

"I don't know Prim," I say. "I'm not sure if you can handle it."

"Why? Why can't I handle what is bothering you?" she asks.

"You aren't old enough," I say.

"I'm old enough to get picked for the Hunger Games," she says.

"That doesn't mean you understand everything Prim," I say. "I don't want to burden you with this."

"Please, just tell me," she pleads. I look at her and roll my eyes.

"Fine, but you have to swear that you won't tell Mother," I say.

"I promise. I won't," she says. "I'm good at keeping secrets, especially from Mom."

"I told Peeta I loved him," I say looking out the window.

"That's it?" She asks. "Why is that such a big secret?"

"Because of what happened after I told him I loved him," I say.

"You mean you and him?" she asks but I can tell she's too embarrassed to say the words out loud.

"Yeah," I say. "It was really hard to leave this morning because all I wanted to do was lie there in his arms, but we both knew we had to go out."

"I didn't think you liked him that much," Prim says.

"I didn't realize I loved him until we got home from the games and he gave me the cold shoulder," I say. "I feel safe with him even when I know I'm in more danger then I've ever been in."

"I think you guys should still get married," Prim says.

"Prim, that was only a ploy to get the Capitol off out tails," I say. "A ploy that failed."

"I don't mean really get married. I mean do the toasting, something secret that can't be tainted by the Capitol," she says. "I mean even though the Capitol called off the wedding, you two are still technically engaged."

"I'll think about it, but I'm not promising anything," I say.

"I wouldn't expect you to," she says. "Take a nap and you'll start to feel better."

"Will do Little Duck," I say and she gives a quick quack in reply before leaving the room, shutting the door quietly behind her.

And after a nap, I did feel better. But little did I know, in a few weeks, I would be feeling much, much worse.