Chapter 485

The words that escape her lips aren't exactly what I expected.

Ember did mention she'd be able to see his true form, but I assumed he meant in the heart of battle. Or that she'd be able to perceive that he is a soul energy user too.

I wasn't expecting her to see through his disguise the instant she awakened.

However, it was within the realm of possibilities so I calmly respond.

"I am."

She immediately replies.

"And that Red Hydra's energy reeks on you too, I hope you get rid of the rest of it soon."

Ember laughs and turns to me.

"See, I'm not the only one that thinks taking borrowed power is a bad idea. Especially from that old sorry excuse of a Divine Beast. He just wants to be a dragon so bad, but he never will."

Ember rolls his eyes, and I'm clearly unaware that they can even sense this buff although it's not even activated.

Maria steps forward, still wide-eyed while taking in her new environment, but gets straight to the point.

"If you were waiting for me to become strong enough to guard you while you cultivate, I've reached that point."

Ember nods and agrees.

"It is true. Maria is ready. We can guard the town while you're away."

At this, I take out the last isolation pod and my double and I begin charging it up with all of the remaining containment stones. During the process, it transfers over one more fragment of luminite into my storage, making there six in total now.

In return, I give the silver tablet that controls the walls and bunker hatch mechanisms to my double to hold onto while I'm inside. At this rate, my teammates will come out of their pods about 12 hours before me, so they need a way to exit the bunker.

Maria speaks while this is happening.

"How many of the Dark Guards have soul energy of their own awakened? I assume they are far superior to that 5th guard I faced earlier today."

I reply while setting a 48-hour timer on the pod in front of me with 48.121x dilation.

"Before I defeated the 2nd, it told me three of the Dark Guards have soul energy of their own, while many other servants only relied on the Dark One's power."

She nods.

"So, most likely the 3rd and 1st."

Ember pitches in.

"We can spar in the desert if you'd like some experience. This isn't my first time dealing with The Lich King after all, I can simulate the strength of its Dark Guards and give you some general Soul Energy pointers."

Maria turns to Ember, and for the first time, I see a physical manifestation of energy emerge from her.

A pure blue aura covers her hand and swirls around. In my senses, it feels like a seamless combination of mana and Qi; I can't separate the two, they flow perfectly together and feel as if they've dissolved into one energy.

It shows no source of where it's manifested from, swirling around her hand, then disappearing in the same manner back into her skin and away from my perception.

"That's a good idea, let's train."

I smile and step into the pod and turn to Ember.

"We're an open book, tell her everything she needs to know to become stronger. I'll meet you on the battlefield once my own awakening is complete."