Chapter 210: Survivor

[A Few Days Ago]
Former site of the Tianqing Academy.The vast expanse of the campus, covering 2000 mu, was now blanketed in white snow. Except for a few clock towers and the spires of tall buildings protruding from the snow, this top-notch aristocratic school had completely disappeared from the horizon.It was hard to believe that amidst this snow-covered bustling campus, there were still people alive. This was thanks to the sturdy buildings of the Tianqing Academy and the massive amount of funds invested during construction. After all, the children studying here were the offspring of officials and tycoons. The school built for their children was of a quality more than a hundred times better than public schools.At this moment, in one of the gymnasiums on the campus, a group of students had taken refuge. Beneath the layers of snow, with the thin air and the terrifying events they had encountered in recent days, everyone was mentally exhausted. They huddled together in small groups, their faces displaying exhaustion and anxiety.Their teacher, who had been taking care of them, had gone to the warehouse to find food, leaving them here to rest.In one corner of the gymnasium, a long-haired girl sat in a wheelchair, staring absentmindedly at the basketball court floor. Her skin had a sickly pallor, even paler than the snow outside. Her slender figure seemed as though it could be blown away by a gust of wind, so delicate and fragile. But beneath that black mane of hair, there was a breathtakingly beautiful face. Delicately small, barely the size of a palm, it bore a resemblance to Yang Mi but had a completely different style. While Yang Mi's face always carried a sense of stubbornness and self-reliance, hers exuded vulnerability and pitiful innocence, enough to make any man's protective instincts soar!In short, she was Yang Mi's cousin, Yang Xinxin.But at this moment, this genius hacker girl seemed somewhat lonely. She only had one longtime friend by her side, while the other students kept their distance, unwilling to associate with her. Some even looked at Yang Xinxin with expressions of disgust, not because she had done anything wrong, but simply because she was disabled and still alive.In times of such danger, everyone was on edge, unsure when the lurking horrors would emerge. Having a cripple around was seen as a burden. Unfortunately, their teacher was extremely ethical and insisted on taking her along every time they had to flee.Initially, there were no complaints about Yang Xinxin. Instead, people cared for her and looked after her. But as more and more people died, dwindling their numbers from over a hundred to just over forty now, the attitude towards her began to change. Yang Xinxin, who could only sit in a wheelchair, was considered a burden even though she hadn't done anything. Some even blamed her for the deaths of their friends."Why should you, a cripple, still be alive when everyone else is dead?""Is it because of you that everyone died?"In the face of death, humans either exhibit rare kindness or reveal the hidden evil within their hearts. The latter is easier to succumb to because hatred is easier to learn than forgiveness. And this evil twisted their hearts immensely.Amidst the oppression of death, people always sought ways to release their negative emotions. If bullying the weak could provide pleasure, they were eager to indulge in this sin during such uncertain times. The strong would vent their anger on the stronger, and the weak would vent theirs on the weaker.Breathing the thin air, the students in the gymnasium had no energy left to spare. They leaned against the walls or sat on gym mats, engaging in discussions.A girl spoke slowly, "Do you think... we can still survive?"Upon hearing this, several girls around her, with weary faces, showed fear and helplessness.Another girl hugged her knees, trembling as she said, "We must be able to survive! We must.""But so many people have already died!""Li Huimin, Yuan Sisi, Zhao Huan, Tong Siya..."As each name was mentioned, a chilling sensation ran through everyone's hearts. These were their former classmates, the ones they had watched die before their eyes.At that moment, a girl with wavy hair suddenly noticed Yang Xinxin in the wheelchair. Unreasonably, a strong feeling of disgust surged within her."So many people have died, why is this disabled person still alive?"This topic was difficult to end once it began. As if finding an outlet for their emotions, everyone turned their angry gazes towards Yang Xinxin."Every time we escape, we have to bring her along. It's so annoying! Teacher Liang is too soft-hearted. It would be better to let her feed the monsters!""Yeah, what's the point of her existence? With her condition, she might die of illness any day.""I think she's a jinx. Her presence is just dragging us down!"The expressions of the girls gradually twisted, revealing a perverse pleasure within their distortion. Criticizing Yang Xinxin gave them a sense of gratification amidst their despair. If they could just dump all the blame on her, perhaps they could survive.Or perhaps, they were simply releasing their malice and fear.Once someone opened this topic, others around them would also be influenced."I think she's a burden too! If she died, maybe we wouldn't have to struggle so much?""If she dies, the monsters won't spare us either. But... if there's a next time, should we leave her behind to lure the monsters?""In that case, at least her sacrifice would be meaningful!""Anyway, in her current state, what's the point of struggling? Even if she survives, she'll just be a useless person!"...The girls' discussions became more and more unabashed. Their voices grew louder, and their expressions became increasingly twisted and manic.On the boys' side, some were discussing the necessity of protecting Yang Xinxin."We've protected her for long enough. Haven't we done our best?"A boy with a crew cut frowned, "Why don't we leave her behind next time?"At this moment, a boy with a refined hairstyle, leaning against the wall, spoke helplessly, "What's the point of our discussion? Teacher Liang never wants to leave anyone behind. And what's the result? Huh, more and more people are dying?"He was the class monitor, named Wu Chengyu.Just then, among those who had been discussing Yang Xinxin, a girl with a ponytail suddenly stood up. With a strange smile on her face, she walked step by step towards Yang Xinxin, who was in the wheelchair. With her hands behind her back, she looked down at Yang Xinxin from above.Her gaze gradually turned malicious, and then she bent down, facing Yang Xinxin, and said, "Yang Xinxin, could you please hurry up and die? Your current state is nothing but a burden, so disgusting!"