Chapter 230: Entering the Base

While the students were working, some of them were already complaining in private.
"Weren't they supposed to come to rescue us? Why do they still make us work?""We've suffered so much already. We thought the rescuers would take good care of us. Never expected they'd treat us like laborers!"Someone approached Wu Chengyu and whispered, "Squad leader, why is this situation different from what you told us?"Wu Chengyu's expression became somewhat embarrassed.He had been bragging all along that his father, Wu Jianguo, was an important leader in the Western Mountain Organization.But now, it seemed that the situation was not at all as he had imagined.His father's position in the Western Mountain Organization apparently wasn't that high.However, it wasn't convenient to discuss these matters in front of other soldiers.Wu Chengyu whispered, "It's an extraordinary time now. They won't keep idle people around! Let's work hard!""They just lack manpower, and we can rest once we arrive at the base."The others had no choice but to comply.The soldiers outside loaded supplies onto sleds.Unexpectedly, there were still plenty of supplies from Tianqing Academy, enough to fill the sleds!The soldiers nodded in satisfaction.After a brief arrangement, a few people pulled the sleds back, with Wu Jianguo also assigned to escort the supplies back.After all, with his current condition, he couldn't return without a vehicle.Only two soldiers remained to escort Liang Yue and the students to the Western Mountain base."Let's go!"The soldier said.Watching the sleds departing, the students were all stunned."Do you mean we have to walk there?""Where are the vehicles? Why didn't they drive over?"These students were all pampered, used to being treated like little emperors or princesses at home. How could they walk such a long distance?From Tianqing Academy to the Western Mountain Organization base, it was at least a dozen miles!After enduring hunger for so long, where would they find the energy to walk over a dozen miles in the snow?Upon hearing the students' protests, the two soldiers exchanged a glance, their eyes filled with mocking expressions."Shut your mouths!"One soldier shouted, immediately intimidating the students with military authority and fierceness."If you want to live, keep up. Anyone unwilling, roll away now!"After the soldier impatiently finished speaking, he turned and walked away without looking back.The other soldier coldly said to them, "Let me remind you, regardless of your past identities, now that the apocalypse has come, your identities are all meaningless. If you want to survive, you better behave."After saying this, he dropped a bag of energy bars and walked away.The students were all stunned, clearly unable to accept this reality.Liang Yue said, "Let's keep up!"The students might not be mature, but the teachers were. Seeing Liang Yue's determination, the bewildered students could only choose to follow closely behind her.Now, Liang Yue became their biggest reliance once again.A dozen miles seemed like an eternity to them.Cold and hungry, the biting wind whipped against them, causing many students to collapse halfway.The two soldiers didn't even pay attention to them, only waiting briefly when their pace slowed.If someone really couldn't get up, they had no intention of helping them.Liang Yue organized the students to help each other."Listen, we have no other choice now. We must go to the Western Mountain base to survive.""Everyone must persevere, we're almost there!"With Liang Yue as the backbone, hope gradually ignited in everyone's hearts.They continued to advance step by step, encouraging each other.After walking for most of the day, they finally arrived.They couldn't hold on any longer, so they ate an energy bar each.These energy bars were military supplies, incredibly effective, allowing them to avoid collapsing in the snow!It must be said, it was a scientific miracle.After a while, they finally reached Western Mountain.The Western Mountain Organization's base was located within the Western Mountain community of Tianhai City.Its entrance was at the foot of a mountain.Liang Yue and the others followed the two soldiers and arrived here with difficulty.At the foot of the mountain, a huge iron gate slowly opened, revealing a deep staircase leading underground.The two soldiers said nothing, only gesturing for them to go in.Understanding, the group, even though exhausted, entered the base.To them, this place was a safe haven, the hope for a better life!Liang Yue and the others descended the stairs, not knowing how long they walked until they reached a spacious room resembling an air raid shelter.There were several passages in different directions, all locked with heavy green metal doors."What's next? What do we do?"The students were both hopeful and afraid, uncertain of what they would face next."Don't be afraid. They went through great efforts to bring us here; they shouldn't harm us."Liang Yue tried to reassure the students.At that moment, the door to the right passage suddenly opened with a rumble.A group of people in white protective suits, carrying what looked like pesticide sprayers on their backs, emerged.As soon as they appeared, they immediately raised the sprayers and started spraying Liang Yue and the others.Thick disinfectant mist enveloped them.The students coughed incessantly, but they understood this was a necessary process for entering the shelter, so they gritted their teeth and endured.After disinfection, a middle-aged woman walked over to them, saying, "Everyone, line up in two rows!""Let me explain. In order to ensure the safety of the shelter, we need to carry out comprehensive disinfection and body checks on you. Please cooperate with our work!"Medical staff brought over two tables and placed them in the room.Liang Yue and the others had no choice but to obediently line up as requested.The medical staff took blood samples from each of them, then led them to a spacious room to wait for the test results.Exhausted, Liang Yue and the others did as they were told, lacking the strength and courage to even ask questions.They were locked in the room.During this time, someone in protective clothing provided them with food.The food was placed on plates, a white, viscous substance of some kind, its exact nature unknown.But they were too hungry to care, wolfing it down eagerly.They found the taste to be somewhat decent, reminiscent of yogurt, yet definitely not yogurt.After eating, some of them began to doze off, feeling a slight restoration of energy.After what seemed like an eternity, a fat woman in her fifties wearing glasses appeared.Beside her was Wu Jianguo.Wu Chengyu was excited to see his father. "Dad!"Wu Jianguo glared at Wu Chengyu, gesturing for him to be quiet.The woman with glasses glanced at Wu Chengyu, a hint of amusement in her eyes.She asked Wu Jianguo, "Is this your son?"Wu Jianguo, slightly hunched, fawningly replied, "Yes, Director Xu. He's my son, Wu Chengyu."Director Xu nodded without saying much.Instead, she said to them, "After the examination, it's good that none of you carry infectious diseases or suspicious bacteria. That's a relief! Next, follow me for a cleaning, then you'll be sent to the fourth survival compartment."