43- Puppy

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" Remus asked his wife nervously, handing her the crying Hope. April 29th; full moon and the new parent's first chance to know whether the twins had inherited their father's gene. Teddy was asleep on a cushion next to his mum's feet, occasionally hitting his small hands against the sofa as he dreamt.

"I'll be fine." Dora rolled her eyes at the standing man in a joky way, giggling slightly as the little girl in her lap reached for her elbow length pink curls, "You've asked me at least twenty times in the last three days. Leave them in their cots until the moons fully up and only if I'm sure its safe can I go in and get them. If its not, send you a patronus. Got it. I'm not dim."

"Don't be mean." The lycanthrope chuckled, leaning over her to place a gentle kiss on her lips. She kissed back, only breaking away when Hope began to scream. Remus pulled back up to his full height, wrapping the dark cape around his shoulders.

"Good luck." She smiled at him, calming the restless girl as she rocked her back and forth, "I'll see you tomorrow. Love you."

"Love you too." He nodded, gently kissing first Teddy and then Hope's forehead before leaving the room. Dora listened as the door clicked shut, transferring the little girl to her other arm as she leant down to pick up Teddy. The blue haired baby began to gurgle as his mother picked him up, waking from his deep slumber. With one child in each arm the young metamorphagus began to make her way through the living room, whistling a soft lullaby as she walked.

Teddy looked up at her with wide eyes, curious and full of love for the strange girl whose voice he couldn't help but recognise. She smiled down at him, hair that looked different all the time a bright colour that he couldn't describe. Her smile reassured him, even if there was something in the air that made him uneasy. The baby could feel the restlessness in the other child that they called his sister too. He called out to her, worried as her screams grew louder. But she was soon quiet again as the woman began to talk to her. He couldn't understand what it meant, but it sounded so sweet and gentle that a wave of tiredness swept over him. The tall man called what she did singing and Teddy could tell from the way that he smiled at her when she did that he liked it.

The words that she sang went something like,
"Seems like the other day.
My baby went away.
He went away cross the sea.

"Its been two years or so
Since I saw my baby go
And then this letter came for me

"It said that we were through
He'd found somebody new
Let me think
Let me think
What can I do?"

By the time she had reached that point and her two children were fully captivated, Dora was standing in the bedroom. Gently placing each one in their own cots with a gentle kiss on their foreheads; she withdrew from the room. The door locking with a click behind her, she leant against the wall opposite. A deep breath ran into her mouth, doing only a small amount to calm the tensions in her mind. She was fairly certain that Teddy wasn't a werewolf, he was too gentle and collected as the days had passed on whereas Remus was usually snappy and blunt when it reached that time. About Hope she was not so sure.

The young girl had grown increasingly touchy and sensitive in the recent days, something that hadn't gone unnoticed by her worried parents. The small window in the top of the door provided a clear view of the room, both children crying for her. She wanted so desperately to go in and calm them, but the moon visible in the window on the other side was not yet high enough.

Tapping her foot impatiently on the floor, Dora watched as the moonlight spilled into the room. Upon reaching the cots, the screams grew even louder and she couldn't take it anymore. Cursing under her breath, she swung the door open and hurried in. Teddy was rolling in his cot, tears streaming down his face as he yelled at the top of his little voice.

She scooped the shaking baby up, gently rocking him back and forth like she always did. The moon was now fully in the sky, illuminating the small room.

Nervously, Dora turned to the remaining twin, expecting the worst. But no, Hope Lily Lupin was lying silent in her cot, looking about curiously for someone to comfort her. She was scared and worried; nothing more. The man who loved her had left, he had never done that before and then the woman hadn't come to get her when she called. She didn't understand, but when she was once more safe in her mother's arms, she relaxed.

Dora heaved a long sigh of relief, unable to stop herself smiling at the little ones as she held them. They tried to smile back at her, mouths opening as they attempted to figure out how. Holding them close to her chest, the young mother picked her way round the room, all but collapsing onto her bed. She lay them both down next to her, resting her tired head on the pillow. Eyes drifting shut almost instantly, she fell into a dreamless, much needed, sleep. Soon after the twins followed, curled up to each other and their mother like cuddly toys.

*

Even under the influence of Wolfsbane, Remus still wasn't thinking quite straight. He was adamant that his two children were werewolves like himself. Unable to see how they couldn't be, he tortured himself for it, lining his body with many new wounds and his pale fur was soon soaked with blood. He couldn't get away from his own guilt, sure that he ruined two children's lives with his own disorder. But he'd promised Dora that he would never leave her again, and he didn't intend to.

A.N-

Yay!! I'm back and have two updates for you. It's nearly the end now:-(. I will have a few chapters of the afterlife just to finish it up.

Rhea
--x--