Chapter 34: Part II

Edit: August 9th, 2017.

The figure becomes more clear as they approach closer to me, and I breathe out the breath I didn't know I was even holding.

"You sneaky little bastard!" I snarl. "Get your gross hands off of my mouth." I slap their hand away from me, and haul myself out of the dumpster in a scurry. I rub the back of my hand against my mouth to erase the kiss they planted on my mouth out of reflex to shut me up. I know they wouldn't willingly kiss me if they had the opportunity to; I wasn't exactly someone who caught the attention of boys like him. It happened in fairytales. This most definitely was far, far away from one you can relatively call a happy ending.

I felt a rage of anger when I seen their face present in the moonlight, but I also felt pretty happy. I liked him, irregardless of what happened. Plus, I got a kiss from him.

"I'm sorry?" He questions, and move out of the way when I climb out. I remain silent as I look into his eyes with my arms crossed. "Look, if it wasn't for me, you'd probably be dead, so a thank you would be appreciated."

"I didn't ask for your help! I would've been fine without it." I whisper frustratedly. I turn and pace as I rub my forehead nervously before turning back to them. "You've messed this whole thing up for us. We may not be able to see or even talk to her again because of what you did. Haven't you 'helped' us enough? Stay away. You're just going to make this worse than it already is, so just go."

"Jada, you don't understand. Let me speak first, please."

"Don't understand? You tricked us into helping you for your own good! If it wasn't for me, you and your friends would have been dead and gone a long time ago. I should have just gouged my eyeballs out so I wouldn't fall for your stupid, hot charm."

He's preposterous! Hot, funny, kind, sweet, and knows how to work a gun, but preposterous! He lures us to help him survive, yet he makes my best friend turn against us and our group fall apart. I'm waiting for Alex's boyfriend to get his butt here to talk so I have a reason to leave them. I can't end on bad terms with her. I can't have him mess this up more than he already has.

I can't go back.

"Jada, I didn't cause what happened, I promise! I had no part of it. I didn't even know that they were planning on ruining your group. Hell, I would have left, too! Please, just let me explain myself; I want to be with you and your squad."

"My squad, eh? Don't you get it, Austin? There is no squad anymore. I doubt there was one to even start with. Just a broken puzzle sticking with its required pieces until someone can assemble them properly and make them whole again. A beautiful picture. But we've lost pieces forever. We're never going to be whole again, and the picture in the end wasn't so beautiful, anyway.

"Don't you get that? It was you who ruined everything. You convinced us you were useless and wouldn't live another week in the apocalypse and to beg us to keep you alive, it was Noah and Indiana who drove Alex away, Summer the klutz who can't be cautious about anything, and slowed us down, and Declan, well, for as innocent and quiet he looks, he didn't do anything to stop any of this. You were the one who was running that jumbled mess. So, why don't you tell me, Austin, why should I let you into my box of unsolved messes, and help us make things right for once?"

"Because I wasn't the cause of what made them go wrong." He answers without second thought.

I glare at Austin strongly, an incredulous look on my face.

Didn't cause what made them go wrong? If anything he was the main reason! He used his looks against us! Against me!

"Okay, Jada, please just stop having that insulting conversation with your conscience and hear me out. I promise, it isn't what it seems and I can explain everything." Austin interrupts. Oh please. If I wanted everything explained then I would have pulled him or anyone aside and asked what their problem is. But I'm a nice person and don't do that. Not usually, anyway.