Chapter 4

"20/20, 20/20 vision
Cupid hit me, cupid hit me with precision, eye
Wonder if you look both ways when you cross my mind
I said, I said
I'm sick of, sick of, sick of, sick of chasing
You're the one that's always running through my daydreams, I
I can only see your face when I close my eyes
So..."
Tyler, the Creator ft. Kali Uchis "See You Again"

Ashanti

I just love my life right now.

I graduated in the top 10 of my class from Georgia State University with a BSN. I quit my job at Onyx to move on to big and better things. That definitely wasn't the life my parents envisioned for me and I bet that they were rolling in their graves every night I was shaking my *ss in front of all of those men. I'm going to make them proud from now on. I moved to L.A. and got a job at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, as a registered nurse.

My best friend and I are cozied up in an apartment together. We've known each other since we were in kindergarten. She's always been there for me, especially when my parents died.

Teyana is as an editor for the LA Times. I'm surprised she finds time for herself the way she's always proofreading articles from left and right. At least she doesn't have to be in a long distance relationship anymore. She and her boyfriend, Iman, were dating before he got drafted to the NBA. He plays for the Lakers. Sometimes there was a strain in communication, but everything is how it should be right now.

Since none of us had to go to work today, we decided to get pampered and then relax at the park. I just love the park and so does Reese.

People are jogging, kids are on the playground, and Teyana is on the swings with her lollipop while I'm trying to figure out what animals these clouds look like with Reese laying on my stomach. There's a perfect warm temperature with a cool breeze and chirping birds caring for their babies in their nests.

Can you believe she didn't bring one for me? While she drove us here, I turned in my seat and stared at her. She avoided my gaze, knowing that she was wrong. With her spit all slobbered over it, Teyana handed the lollipop to me but I refused to take it.

"Uncle Aug, stop cheating!" I could hear a little girl whine. Wait, Aug is short for August. Can it be? I looked around to see where the voice was coming from.

"What are you taking about? You told me to count to ten, Imani and I did. You didn't hide well enough and I caught you, so you're it."

"You didn't count to ten though. You said: 1, 2, 3, 10."

"I think you have too much wax in those small ears of yours."

"Uncle Aug, Imani's right. Me and Shyla heard you count wrong."

"So y'all are ganging up on me now? Your favorite Uncle?"

"You're not our favorite uncle; Uncle Travis is."

"I love you too, Aaliyah. In fact, I love all you rugrats."

I sat up and looked behind me to see Mr. Alsina. August was less than 100 feet away from me. He was with three beautiful, young girls; they're probably his nieces because I know he doesn't have kids.

I didn't realize how long I was watching them until I saw him looking back at me. Oh sh*t. I pretended to swat a mosquito off my shoulder and laid back down with my hands stroking Reese's back. Okay, calm down. Maybe he didn't recognize me. Wait, who could ever forget me; I'm unforgettable.