Chapter 35

"But what kind of man would I be
If I lived unfaithfully
And what kind of girl would you be
If you did the same
Cause I don't wanna see her cry
And you don't need a reason to lie
Cause if we laid down tonight
It won't justify throwing love aside."
Mint Condition "What Kind of Man Would I Be?"

August

It's so damn early, but the sun will be rising soon. I couldn't sleep last night; I've been stressing. I'm standing at the top of the hill in the park I usually go to. I'm just trying to clear my head and get these lyrics done, so I can start recording.

Suddenly, I heard a woman screaming. They were cries for help. I couldn't see anyone from where I was sitting on a rock because of the trees that were in the way. I searched for where I heard the voice. There wasn't anyone on the ground, stuck in a tree, or getting eaten in the shrubs.

I saw someone wearing a hoodie, trying to pry away the hands that were clutching to the edge for survival. There was a ring I saw on the person in trouble's hand that looked all too familiar.

"Hey!" I shouted, but for some reason no sound was actually coming out of my mouth. The person must have heard my footsteps from the crackling twigs and tree branches as I stepped on them. I could tell the overpowering person was a woman by the long curls hanging out of the hood and the small glimpse of her red lips I got.

When I ran over, her body somehow vanished into thin air. I squatted on the ground, so I could help the woman in distress. I was shocked to see that it was Queen struggling to hold on as she dangled from the cliff. But when she saw me, Ashanti refused to grab my hand and decided to let go.

"I'd rather die than get help from you!" I almost grabbed her manicured hand before she fell back into the deep, dark abyss. Her last words were:

"You did this to us August." I was so confused. Everything became darker and darker by the second. The person came back, but I couldn't make out who it was.

I rose up from the bed once I opened my eyes, noticing I was in my room and the tv was still on from last night.

It was all a dream.

Maybe this is a sign that breakfast with Miracle today is a bad idea. Chris probably had a point.

I need to check on my baby right now. I checked my phone and saw that it was 6:15. I know Ashanti is going to leave for work in a few minutes. I rushed out of my bed and threw some clothes on, putting my gun on my waist.

I ran through so many red lights and drifted as I turned the corners. I called Ashanti, but the phone kept ringing with no one picking up. She always keeping that sh*t on vibrate against my advice. So, I called Teyana.

"Hello?" She answered, groggily.

"Hey, is Ashanti still home?"

"Yeah, I think so. Why don't you call her?"

"I did, but she's not picking up the phone." I pulled up in their driveway and swiftly parked.

"I'll go check on her." I heard shuffling in the background.

"Come open the door first."

"What? You really came all the way over here?" The door opened a few seconds later and when she saw me, T cut the line and I stuffed my phone into my pocket. I pulled out my gun, which surprised Teyana.