Chapter 21

January, 2013

I rolled over, still in Lauren's bed, stretching out my arms and snuggling up to the pillow that took her place. My brow furrowed at her absence. She hadn't told me that she planned on going anywhere, and I worried for a moment that she had made a rash decision in the middle of the night given her drunken state and left the comfort of her own bed, but I smiled when I felt a piece of paper crinkle under the weight of my hand as I pulled her side of the sheets to my chest. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and picked up the note, unfolding it and taking in every detail of her handwriting as I read:

I was going to wake you up but you're just too damn adorable when you sleep...

I had fun with you last night

I made some plans and had to run out...

P.S. Look on the roof

I love you

XO Lauren

I suddenly became aware of the dull ache in the back of my head as I stumbled out of bed and placed the note on her nightstand. I walked to the window and leaned out, scanning the area until my eyes landed on a bottle near the windowsill. I pulled the empty champagne bottle that we had both shared the night before into her bedroom and plucked out a white rose with another note attached, smelling the flower that Lauren had evidentially taken from her yard and untying the notecard.

I'll be at the beach until noon...

If you don't show up by then I'll just assume you're too hungover to move and I'll back at precisely 12:30 with pizza and Ryan Gosling movies.

Either way,

See you soon

Lauren

I glanced at the clock on her dresser and instantly sprung into action, realizing I only had half an hour to make it to the beach. I threw on a pair of shorts and a tank and ran down the stairs, ignoring the confused looks I was getting from her family.

"Camila, I didn't know you were here," her mom exclaimed as I ran through the living room. "Lauren isn't-"

"I know, I'm meeting her at the beach," I interrupted, running out the door before she could protest.

I made the trek to the beach in record time, only stopping once I had arrived to look for Lauren. I scanned the stretch of white sand but didn't see her anywhere and wondered if she had already left until I heard her raspy tone behind me.

"Looking for someone?" she teased.

I spun around and wrapped my arms around her neck, kissing her once on the lips and then hugging her tightly.

"Hi," I mumbled into her shoulder.

"Hi," she chuckled. "I'm assuming you got my notes."

I separated from her and smiled, admiring the way her black and white sundress accented her curves.

"I did," I nodded. "That was a nice touch. Very romantic."

"Really? I thought it was kind of lame," she dismissed.

She took my hand and led me down the same path that I had just walked to find her, absentmindedly kicking shells out of her way as we made our way to the beachfront shops.

"What are we doing here anyway?" I asked.

"Going to lunch," she answered.

We stopped in front of a local seafood restaurant and she opened the door for me, ushering me inside and following behind. The hostess showed us to the back patio where we sat at a table for two with a perfect view of the ocean. I stared out at the water, happy to be back home for the time being as Lauren ordered our drinks.