Sixty Eight

They went to a new place everyday.

And everyday they came home without Camila and everyday Lauren followed the detectives into the room and everyday she watched as they crossed one more possibility off of the list.

Everyday for another seven days.

And she was getting sick of the new day coming because it meant another night she went without sleep and another day without Camila.

Eventually enough days passed until they reached the last place on the list. The Base. The Base were she worked, where her friends worked, where her family worked.

Lauren didn't want to think about that, she just wanted to find Camila

The raven-haired girl turned around when she heard someone walk into the bedroom, letting out a breathy sigh when it turned out to be Normani.

"You nearly ready?" She reached out and grabbed Lauren's bag from the bed, throwing it over her shoulder.

"Yeah, just... thinking," Lauren settled on, pulling her leather jacket on before walking to Normani.

"How are you feeling?" The older girl asked and Lauren let out a dry laugh.

"Can we talk about something else? I can think of more fun topics, like my mom's death," Lauren's tone was dripping with sarcasm and Normani shoved her arm.

"You could've just said," She told her.

"Yeah and you would've just pushed," Lauren said with a smile, taking her bag from Normani before sliding it over her own shoulder. "Is everyone nearly ready?"

"Yeah we're setting off at nine. Dinah's made us coffee," Normani informed her and Lauren nodded at the information.

"Is she gonna be okay? Like, with all the guns and stuff?" She raised an eyebrow, seeing Normani tense a little in preparation to defend her girlfriend if needed.

"Yeah, she's fine. She wants to come," Normani emphasised. At Lauren's unconvinced expression, she added, "Mila's her best friend, Lo. She wants to be there."

"I know, everyone wants to be there. But if-" Lauren started but was cut off by Normani.

"You can't tell them not to let her come! It'll break her heart, please let her come. I'll take her away if she can't handle it but let her come with us," She pleaded desperately, pouting slightly.

"Chill Mani, I was just making sure," Lauren laughed slightly, holding her hands up in defence.

"Okay, good because she's not shut up about how she thinks this is really the place. I had to stop her checking it herself," Normani rambled as they left the room.

"How did you get all that from her? She's barely spoke in the past week," Lauren stated.

"She speaks to me at night. And she reads like a book," Normani shrugged.

"Oh," Lauren muttered before pausing, "why does she think Camila will be here?"

"I don't know. Don't you have any hope?" Normani questioned.

"Yeah, I just don't think this one seems likely," Lauren brushed it off before continuing walking.

They made their way into the kitchen where Dinah was stood with several men, all (minus Dinah) armed with guns. Normani rushed over to her girlfriend, whispering something that Lauren was ninety percent sure was about their conversation earlier in her ear. Dinah nodded before offering out a flask to Lauren.