6 ☽

Now that he's in, Adonis is in the hot pursuit of any devices planted by the vampires. Tiny microphones like the one planted in the hospital room, cameras, global positioning systems, anything that reeked of vampire money.

Flipping furniture and tearing apart the small living space, Adonis finds nothing but a few wads of cash rolled up and hidden. A considerable amount of cash, which lead him to question not the vampires, but on the human he's now bound to by his own foolish heroism.

He shoves the cash in a bag, one of hers, that's cast out on the floor like her temporary furniture. In all Adonis's furious searching, he's never felt like more of a pervert when he's putting her underwear and bras back in the bag. In the opening of the last drawer he checks, a shiny black mirror glares back his way.

Why any human girl left anywhere without her mobile phone nowadays, is curious enough. Suspicious still, is everything he's coming to notice on the surface of Lila. She may be a pretty girl with an innocent enough appearance, but all of this leaves him to question just what type of life she leads. Not a normal human one, by any means. Or, from what he'd seen from them, at least.

He turns the phone on, thinking the battery is drained and that's maybe why she left it.

Eventually, her screen came to life and no longer could he see his own reflection in the cracked glass.

No lock code. Even stranger.

She definitely didn't have anyone in her life that might be tempted to go through her things. That, and she must not have gone out much. Everyone had a lock code on their phone. Even Adonis, who didn't converse with anyone and used his own for research on the Vasile's and occasionally, cyber-stalking the former members of his pack connected to social media.

Lila, apparently, didn't give a shit or thought herself to be invincible from her privacy being invaded.

When the messages loaded, they came in droves. Texts, missed phone calls, voicemails—all from the number labeled, "Sperm Donor".

Invading her privacy met new lengths, but Adonis didn't mean to read the few words in the messages that flashed in.

Where are you?

Why are you doing this? What happened?

Call me please.

I'm still your father and I want you to call me...NOW!!!!!

I know I haven't been around and I thought we could start over.

I love you.

Silencing the phone and pocketing it, Adonis had every intention to call her father when he got to a safe place. No, maybe it wasn't his place, but Adonis knew enough to see that this man hurt and pained on the thought of where his daughter is. Though Lila might be angry, how could it not be for the best?

So distracted by Lila's secret life, Adonis let his guard down enough to miss the footsteps leading up to the doorway. The doorknob twisted and turned, catching Adonis's ear at last. Taking whatever he could grab for Lila, he rushed it all in the bag.

The vampire police, he smells them, hears them, feels their fury to get inside.

A thud, like a body, slammed itself into the thick wood and hit hard enough to cause it to splinter in. They were coming in and Adonis had no clear way out.

Looking to the glass-paned windows, Adonis felt the familiar rush of adrenaline push from his organs, out to his muscles. His body, expanded, ripping apart tendons and realigning again as he morphed halfway into his true form.

As the door kicked in and revealed his enemy, Adonis let out a feral warning snarl before he dove, full force, into the glass. Breaking, what's designed to be shatter-proof and failed with his impressive vigor.

In the fall, everything passed much slower than real time. He saw lights reflecting on the falling glass, smelled desperation in the sick Seattle air belonging only to this impoverished section.

Controlling his falling speed, Adonis morphed back into the human form more acceptable to the world below.

His shirt, now stretched, partially torn, and worse for wear, fanned out the air that blew up underneath.

Steady feet hit the ground and he landed before the shards of glass rained down from overhead. He's running with Lila's gym bag thrown over his shoulder. He's moving past the gawking humans and through the streets. On his face, he can feel the cuts from the glass healing and the heat that came with the acceleration of the change. 

He lowers his head, avoiding any eyes as the vampires in pursuit chase him. Hearing more feet at matching speeds, Adonis underestimated the ones he's supposed to be hunting.

They have come for him. To kill him, to put him in their arenas, or worse, to make him their personal pet...to breed him should he be of great value. As an assassin and built to annihilate the vampire race, he surely would be of great value. A killer, naturally, which is everything that prized their arenas across the globe. 

He knew the stories, the rumors, of what these vampires did to those they plucked from packs. They all did by now. Most of the Seattle pack imprisoned somewhere underground. Others, from other continents unknown, arriving with the moon. There would be a fight and only the strongest would survive, then find hell all over again till death saved them.

Ahead, he saw his only chance—a motorcycle with the rider just making his way off. Before the human can know what hit him, Adonis did.

Keys in his hand and off with a swerving, almost chase-ending start, Adonis takes off without looking back. He hopes, that they didn't get a look at his face in the distortion of mid-transformation. His heart racing faster than his bike, he hears it hammering in his head like the drums of coming war.

🌔

//Soundtrack song: "Zombie" - The Pretty Reckless (The window-breaking and chase part.)

🌔