1

Nicholas was a very handsome man with money and we all know put together that equals to notorious playboy. Nicholas was happy with his one night stands and no strings attached relationships, he knew very well that the women who swarmed around him were just attracted to his money but he didn't mind. They got what they wanted, his money, and he got what he wanted, meaningless sex. When during his final year of university his father announced that he had arranged Nicholas to wed another Greek American girl, Nicholas was shocked but thought he'd get out of it somehow. He couldn't marry a girl he barely knew, in fact, he didn't even want to get married period. But fast forward to a year later and here Nicholas was five days before the wedding and he was powerless to stop it.

Slamming his fist on the concrete barrier surrounding the balcony facing the vast garden of the Markopoulos mansion. He had to do something he thought he couldn't just stand around and let this happen. One thing was for sure Leon wouldn't let him get out of the marriage he'd have to go through with it but even after he got married if Nicholas even tried to leave her he'd also have to leave the family as well.

Unless..

Nicholas thought. Unless this girl wanted to leave him herself. Nicholas thought long about it. Yes it was the only way. He'd make her so miserable that she'd leave him instantly. Nicholas looked back out into the garden now with a plan in mind. He'd play the best husband in front of his family and the Botsaris' so when his soon to be wife wanted to leave him she'd be the one to blame not him. Nicholas smiled to himself thinking of the poor girl and how he was going to make her life miserable.

The girl in question was currently trying on her wedding dress in one of the most sought after boutiques in the city. Her mother, Fiona, Yiayia, and Carmen had all accompanied her and were sitting and chatting on the couch behind her. Standing in front of the mirror with her head tilted to the side she looked the dress up and down, right and left to find something she might like about it. The dress, of course, wasn't her choice but her mother's and Yiayia's who both fought long on hard till they settled on this dress. If Theora had her way she'd have chosen a simple dress that she could move around easily in not this abomination. The skirt alone had nine layers of fabric, the bodice was overflowing with crystals, while the back had an over the top lacework that it seriously didn't need. With a sigh, Theora shook her head like it or not she had to accept it as there was no way they'd let her pick the dress of her choice.

"The veils" the lady in the boutique held out four veils for her to try.

The first one was too old fashioned so everyone said no to it, the second Yiayia did like but it was extremely heavy.

"I don't like it," Theora said taking it off "it's too heavy"

"In our day we wore wedding dresses twice our weight and it wouldn't affect us one bit. Girls nowadays are so delicate a feather could break them" Yiayia scoffed. Although Yiayia was born and raised in America she never strayed from Greek tradition and like most Greeks held great pride in it.

"Let's try the next veil" Theora's mother suggested. "No that's too plain" she said once it was placed on Theora's head discarding it immediately.

"I think you'll like this one" the saleslady said "it's a long elbow veil with light lacework it'll compliment the back"

As she wore it, while she would've preferred the one her mom threw away but she had to admit it did suit the dress she was wearing and it wasn't too heavy either.

"The second one was the best" Yiayia said

"I like this one" Carmen spoke up earning a side glare from Yiayia.

"I like it too" Theora added looking towards her mother pleading with my eyes.

"Then it's settled. We'll take this one" her mother told the saleslady.

"No respect for the opinion of an elder nowadays" Yiayia muttered angrily "in my days a leaf wouldn't be turned without an elder's permission. Who cares about me I'm just an old lady waiting for death to engulf me"

"How about we eat in the restaurant of your choice Yiayia? That nice little Greek deli is a few blocks from here" Theora suggested trying to cheer her up.

"Oh it doesn't matter I'll go home and you could go to that Pizza Hot or whatever it's called" she said waving Theora away

"Come on Yiayia" Theora gave her grandmother a side hug "I want some Dolmades and Keftedes. Please"

"Alright alright, I'll go but only because you insist. We only have these last few days with you dear" Yiayia said kissing Theora lightly on the cheek "let's enjoy them while they last"

"Tiny isn't moving to another country Yiayia she'll be only a twenty-minute drive away" Carmen said.

"What have I told you about those darn nicknames. She's about to be a married woman treat each other with respect. I want no more calling each other Manny and Tiny" scolded Yiayia.

"Yes Yiayia" both sisters said in unison.

Nicholas was out with friends drinking a beer at a local bar when his father called. He let it ring a few times but for how long could he avoid inevitable finally picking it up.

"Yeah dad it's me" Nicholas said as soon as he picked it up.

"I know who you are Nicholas. I have something important to tell you"

"What is it?"

"I want you to take Theora out to dinner"

Nicholas paused thinking over a way to get out of it.

"I can't" he finally muttered

"Why can't you I insist you take her out" his father demanded

"It's not that I don't want to but the conference in New York is this weekend remember I told you about it. I'll only be back a day before the wedding" Nicholas held his breath hoping it worked.

"Yes I had forgotten about that" Leon muttered and Nicholas silently punched the air in triumph "Alright then I want you to be back the day before the wedding even if the angel of death comes for I want you to tell him to come for you after the wedding"

"Definitely will do that" said Nicholas taking another sip from his beer.

"I've sent you a picture of Theora to your phone I think you'll be pleased with our choice"

"I'll look at it immediately"

"Well then bye son"

"Bye dad" with that Nicholas hung up the phone. He saw that there was a new message from his dad with image written underneath it without opening it Nicholas deleted it from his phone and continued on drinking.