14

Theora sat on her bed with her legs crossed and her fingers digging into the mattress like she needed to be grounded in her place. She sat in that position for one hour straight now having nothing else to do as she had already taken a shower, worn the cute short red velvet dress Carmen suggested and the red pumps to go with it, done her makeup and her hair was also done in light wavy curls.

Theora laughed at herself humourlessly thinking women get all dolled up when their happy and excited, here she did it out of necessity and constraint. If her parents saw that even after five hours of locking herself in her room Theora wasn't ready they were sure to raise an eyebrow so she busied herself in getting ready and now in puncturing holes into her mattress with her nails thinking angrily about a certain someone she had to face soon.

The certain someone in question was on sitting in front seat with Roberto driving as his parents happily chatted away in the back. Nicholas quietly thanked the lord he wasn't driving and his father suggested that Roberto take them because he was a nervous wreck. For the millionth time he straightened his suit and rubbed his now nonexistent stubble which he had shaved clean just a few hours ago on Leon's orders. The guilt that was eating him slowly inside had just gone on steroids and now it felt like some creature was gnawing his insides.

Once the family reached the estate, Nicholas paused looking up to the mansion. He thought of Theora and how he hurt her at that moment he decided whatever happened inside he was the one completely at fault so he should take all the blame. Nicholas swore to make sure his family or her's didn't get a chance to point a finger at her and maybe that could be his redemption.

"Come on, Son" Leon said bringing Nicholas out of his thoughts "your in laws are waiting"

As soon as the words left Leon's mouth, the doors to the mansion burst open with the majority of the Botsaris family coming out to greet them.

"Finally Leon graces us poor people" Demos moves towards Leon with arms outstretched for a hug.

"Look at this man he returns from the dead but still doesn't leave a chance to jab the in laws" Leon laughed hugging him back.

"Nicholas!" His father in law cheered "so good to see you"

"It's good to see you too, Sir. Glad you're feeling well now"

"Nicholas why are you talking to me like a stranger. I'm Theora's Papa and I won't have you calling me anything else. Right Leon"

"Absolutely. This is your family too now son" Leon agreed

"You boys plan on spending the entire night outside or do you plan on coming in anytime soon?" Theora's Mom Fiona asked sarcastically.

"They can stay if they want but I don't plan on freezing to death plus I'm dying to meet my daughter Theora" Odelle said and with that everyone went inside in typical Greek fashion talking loudly the entire time.

Nicholas walked behind everyone looking around thinking he might catch a glimpse of Theora somewhere.

"Theora is upstairs, want me to show you her room?" Nicholas hadn't noticed Carmen infront of him and he almost jumped when she addressed him.

"Carmen!" Nicholas smiled nervously "You look... great"

"I'm eight months pregnant Nicholas. You don't need to remind me that I look like a cow" Carmen narrowed her eyes at him seeming offended.

"I didn't mean... I'm sor.." Nicholas' mumbling was cut short by Carmen's laughter.

"Good grief brother in law you're so easy to tease. Theora must fool you all the time" she laughed playfully smacking his elbow. "Speaking of which Theora's rooms is upstairs to the left. She has a fluffy purple welcome mat infront of the door it's pretty hard to miss"

"It's alright. I'll just wait for her in the dining room" Nicholas said trying to leave

"Go" Carmen said pushing him slightly "The parents are all busy talking go upstairs and have some alone time with your wife. I'll stall" Carmen basically pushed Nicholas towards the stairs. With a deep breath he journeyed upstairs maybe it's better this way Nicholas could explain the whole situation to Theora.

As per Carmen's instructions, Nicholas soon found himself infront of Theora's door. He lifted his hand to knock but it didn't seem to comply flinching at the last second. Nicholas tried again but still couldn't bring himself to do it feeling hopeless he turned his back and leaned against the door. As he rested his head thinking of the mess he had made the door suddenly burst open. Naturally Nicholas fell straight down hitting his head on the marble floors right by Theora's feet. Theora gasped as she now found her husband on the ground clutching his head in pain.

"What are you doing here!" She yelled as quietly as she could.

"Carmen" was all Nicholas could say through the pain. Theora rolled her eyes before helping Nicholas up.

"Are you okay?"

Nicholas wasn't one glance at Theora looking divine in her red dress and the pain in his head was the least of his worries.

"I think" Nicholas coughed composing himself "I'm fine nothing serious"

Theora suddenly realised she was holding his arm and abruptly let go averting her gaze from him.

"We should go downstairs" Theora said moving towards the door.

"Theora.. I" Nicholas started but was shut up by an angry Theora pointing at him.

"My father is still recovering from his heart attack so no I will not be telling him about our separation today. You and your position in your family are safe for now" She sneered angrily before turning around to leave. Nicholas opened his mouth to explain himself but she was gone by then so he did the only thing he could and followed her downstairs.

Once they reached the bottom of the stairs Theora stopped for Nicholas and they both went inside together.

"Here are the lovebirds" Leon said once they entered together "the separation has taken a toll on both of them look at my daughter she's skinny as a twig"

Once Theora greeted her in laws she and Nicholas sat down at the two side by side seats that were left empty for them. As they were in the middle of eating their meals the conversation steered back to Theora and Nicholas.

"Oh our Theora has been so quiet these past few days Leon barely even speaking a word" Yaiyai said "she was too shy to tell me the truth but I know having experienced it myself. The first time I went back to my parents house for a few days I didn't realise how much I'd miss Demo's father"

"You should've seen Nicholas a few hours ago, Yaiyai. He was a complete mess I had to intervene and force him to clean himself up" Leon chimed in.

"Oh dear that's just awful" Fiona said reaching out to pat her son in laws hand who suddenly had difficulty gulping down his food.

"That's it Demos, I have to put my foot down we're taking Theora back with us or I'm afraid my son will have to move in and become a Botsaris" Leon announced. Theora felt the blood drain from her face her fork slipped away from her grip unknowingly.

"As much as I love having Theora for company, I too think she needs to go back home" her father agreed

"It's fine, sir... Papa, Theora can stay if she wants to" Nicholas said.

"Nonsense Theora has a household to run. She can always come back for a day or two later on if she likes. Carmen has gone home three times and back in the time Theora has been here" Yaiyai quickly shut Nicholas down.

"The elders have spoken. Opa!" cheered Leon raising his glass up high.

"Opa!" All of the table joined in except Nicholas and Theora.

"Carmen and I will help you pack after dinner" Fiona told Theora

"Sure Mama" was all she could say as the family happily chatted on.