Chapter 46 🌙

••Flashback••

Where the sun never rises and flowers never bloom. Where spirits live and cast you in your doom.

That, is where I must train in order to reach my highest physical goal yet. If I acquire this new skill set then I'd be unstoppable, I'd be surpassing so many great ninja. I'd be one of the best.

The grand lake in the tundra of urufumun is truly an eerie place.

According to Isamu, this is where the spirits of dead Senju clan members rest. In order to reach the next step and conquer the difficult task of mastering Senjutsu, I must stay on this lake for however long it takes. And I must connect with my deceased ancestors who will pass on the gift once they think I'm ready.

Sure, "gifting" makes it sound easy but its truly not. Hideo and Hikaru both explained to me that its a grueling process, and you could last years on this lake without being gifted. The limit is five years. Other sage training places have different ways of sorting through who masters senjutsu and who does not.

For example, The toads of Mount Myōboku have devised several tools to make learning Sage Mode easier, like an oil that they use to bring out the users natural chakra. Meanwhile at the Ryūchi Cave, one must be bitten by the white snake, who injects them with natural energy. According to Hideo and Isamu, if you do not have the chakra reserves to withstand the bite, you die. But if you do, you are granted the usage of sage mode.

In my case, I must release my chakra into the lake and stay perfectly still as I begin to filter out my own chakra, which means coming to a near death state. BUT this also means that if I am strong enough, my natural chakra will come forth and also filter out into the lake which my ancestors will take note of.

Sadly, there is quite a number of old clan members who died on this lake, being drowned by their ancestors the minute they released their chakra into the body of water since they were deemed unworthy of this upgrade in power.

The weak ones of my clan were weeded out this way.

So as I approached the lake fifteen days ago, I stopped at the edge with hesitance written all over my face. The horror stories of sunken ninja filled up my mind. Both Hikaru and Hideo were on either side of me, telling me that in order to reach the next level I must overcome this daunting task.

So, I looked up and stared at the illuminants that danced across the northern sky. Aurora lights truly are captivating when you know its your last sight for at least a week. Then I lowered my gaze down to the lake where chakra just oozed out of it in mysterious forms. The chakra of my now dwindled down clan.

It is an enchanting place, the water is still and it has the slightest glitter due to the reflection of the northern lights above me. The haunting view of chakra rising from the otherwise calm waters barely faze me.

So I took my first step and almost gasped as the serene waters below me ruptured in an infinite ripple. The center of the lake began to glow, and the chakra around such glow began to diminish. I tentatively looked back at the twins, who simply encouraged me to move towards the glow.

I nodded, placing my entire trust in them as I ventured on towards the glow. My nerves began to rise a bit as I neared the center of the lake, knowing that when I sat down there was the possibility of never getting back up.