41.

*Dj's POV*

Cars had already been pulling up to the front of our house. I heard music bumping and engines stopping near. My family loved to be early to these type of things just so they could leave late. Unless they had to work the next day. Luckily though, my mother never cared.

I had been helping my mother with food since she arrived home with my cousins behind her, they were quiet for awhile until they seen Deon. He always hyped them up for his own amusement.

"Dj could you season those mashed potatoes please? Everything I was gonna put on them is right there," she says, pointing at the condiments.

"Um, mom? I don't know how to season food,"

"You better learn today. Don't over-do it and don't under-do it,"

"Thanks for the tip mother," I say sarcastically. My clothes had been dirty from all the work I put in today helping my mother with food and all the other little things she wanted done. I tried to prevent her from doing as much as she could because it was still her birthday. She ended up loving the gift Deon bought her, so I had to outdo myself with the kind gestures towards her.

The door bell rang.

"Deon, could you get that?" My mother asks him.

He had paused his playful acts with our younger cousins, telling them to calm down until he came back.

"Okay," they both responded, hopping on the couch.

They were boy twins, ages 5. They weren't a huge problem because they listened to us, well mostly to Deon, but still. We never had any big problems with them. They knew when to stop and when to play. I loved them of course, it was just their mother that I couldn't stand.

"Heey," Deon spoke when he opened the door, it had been Amber and Adrian, along with their parents.

"Amber!" I say, throwing the seasonings back onto the counter.

"Well thanks Dj," my mother says picking up the condiments.

"Sorry," I say quickly turning back around.

"Dj!" Amber pulls me back. "We still need to talk,"

The twins had gotten up from the couch and walked towards me and Amber.

"Hi," they both say. One of them takes off his shades. "I'm Cayden,"

"I'm Jayden," the other one says, his shades still remained on.

"Go sit y'all asses back down!" My mother shouts; they ran from the living room all the way up the stairs laughing and giggling.

"I'm sorry you guys, come on in," my mother half smiles to the Koles.

"Happy birthday Cherrelle," Mrs.Kole greets. She walks towards her with a warming hug. "My husband has the gift we all picked out for you, Carl give it to her," she says eagerly.

"Aww thank you guys," my mother said. She was starting to look more happier.

I look at Amber, who had been smirking at me.
"You told them it was her birthday, didnt you?" I push her in her shoulder.

"Well duh," she responded. "They were excited to get her something,"

"What did they get her?" I whispered.

"Some earrings, they'll look beautiful on her," Amber whispered back.

"She loves earrings," I grin.

"I know, she owns like a billion pairs,"

We both laugh, watching our parents interact with each-other for a short period of time. I looked at Adrian and my brother who had been laughing with each other just the same, I wondered if Deon had told Adrian about him being gay yet. I'm not saying I wanted it to be rushed out of him, but Adrian had still been completely clueless.

"Why are you looking at them like that?" Amber slaps my arm.

I realized I was staring, only because they looked so happy together. I knew they'd get back right again, but it bothered me to know their friendship would probably shatter if Adrian knew the truth.

"Amber," I start. "There's so much we have to talk about,"

She sighs. "I know,"

The doorbell rings again, and I hop off the stool to answer it in a hurry.

"Papa!" I say as I open the door quickly, almost jumping into his arms. He had been my grandmothers first husband, and he had always stuck around us even after they got divorced and she passed.

"Dj! Deon! Cherrelle!" He shouts our names while holding onto me, I hadn't seen him in some months but he always made sure to call.

"Hey Pops," my mother said, pausing her conversation with Amber's parents.

Me and Deon had always had a tight bond with him. We didn't understand why him and our grandma didn't last, because in our eyes he was the perfect man for her. But hey, only she knew what went down between them, and so did he.

"Grandpa!" Deon exclaimed standing to his feet, he made his way to him and hugged him tight from behind.

"Aw, come on now y'all! Y'all know my bones weak these days," he chuckled, making almost all of us laugh. "How's everyone doing?" He asked us.

"Good," everyone answered at different times. "How have you been?" My mother asked him. Me and Deon had let him go so he could hug her.

"Good, how about yaself?" He asked, patting her back. "And don't think I forgot you was turning the big 40 today," he laughed.

We had all laughed with him once again, which had been refreshing to do so. Our lives had been so drained and serious lately we had all almost forgot their was such a thing called joy. I'm glad I was able to spend it with my real family and friends.

"I'm done growing, I am," my mom laughs.

"Shiiit," my papa says. "That's what I said when I turned 20, now look at me,"

The kitchen had bursted out with laughter from every area. Today was going to be special, unforgettable even.

Now, all I wanted to be here was Jayon. I missed him, and I wondered what he had been doing right now.