New Accordian Man

"It's the Huberman's" Max cried.

"Ja." Liesel took him inside.

"What are they going to do with it, it's empty." Max asked.

"It will be up for sale soon, but until then I'm allowed to keep some of their possessions stored here." The house was rebuilt, but it was so empty. The walls were barren and white, and the floorboards weren't even nailed in place. Liesel walked over to a dusty chest in the corner of what used to be the living room.

"What's in there?" Max walked over to the chest. Liesel unlocked the lock and shoved back the lid. She brought out an accordion. It was beautiful, but so simple. Max smiled, for he remembered quite well the history of this instrument.

"From Herr Vanderburg, to Papa, to Herr Vanderburg again." Liesel smiled.

"I'm glad you could save this Liesel. My father died before he could teach me, so I do not know how to play." Max stared at his father's instrument.

"When your father gave my Papa the accordion, he taught me once I arrived here. I'll show you." Liesel slipped her hands under the leather handles, placed her fingers on the keys, and played a song.

"Magnificent." Max whispered as he watched Liesel's hands glide across the notes.

"Here, you can play with it for awhile." Liesel handed over the accordion to Max, who just stared at it and laughed.

"Liesel, I can't play as well as you. You're amazing!" He laughed.

"It belongs to you, Max. It was your father's prized possession."

"And now it belongs to you." Max gave it right back to Liesel.

"You enjoy it, and when you play it you can think of me and Herr Huberman." Max explained.

"I'm always thinking about you Max. I was worried about you for all of the years you went missing." Liesel confessed. The room was silent.

"Remember my first Christmas?" Max recollected.

"Yes." Liesel pulled out her book from her side bag.

"Max, remember how you gave me a blank book on Christmas and told me to fill it?"

"Yes I do." He smiled. Max was a happy soul, he was always smiling and laughing. Liesel pulled out the book Max had given her years ago.

"It's full of my words." Liesel handed over the book to Max. He immediately opened the pages and began reading. It was so peaceful and relaxing. There were no interruptions, and the natural sunlight flourished through the windows. Liesel played the accordion for some time, and finally, Max was done reading the novelette.

"You're brilliant! You're a writer!" Max intensely stared at Liesel with wide eyes.

"Thank you, Max." Liesel replied. Silence appeared once more as Liesel thought of something to do.

"Here." Liesel found a paint can underneath a canvas cloth.

"What are we doing?" Max asked. Liesel popped the lid off of the peeling paint and dunked her hand in the paint. She took her dripping hand and pressed it on one of the wooden planks that haven't been laid yet.

"Alright." Max shrugged. He did the same then turned the floorboard so the clean side was facing up.

"Liesel, so much time has passed since I've last seen you."

"Are you staying?" Liesel asked. Her friend went silent and still.

"Are you st-"

"Liesel I don't know." He sighed back.

"I thought you wanted to stay here, look, everyone will love you here." Liesel pleaded.

"But Liesel, I have a job in Munich that will pay me so well that I can buy a house in a good neighborhood. I can't let small things get in the way of me succeeding and doing good." Max explained.

"What if I came? What if I came to Munich to pursue a writing career, to succeed and do good?" Liesel proposed.

"Liesel, would Ilsa even let you? You don't understand, Liesel, why is it so complicated?
Why am I always gasping for air when we are always talking?"

"You know I love words, Max. Who taught me to love them? You. Who taught me to be myself? You." Liesel composed.

"What are you even doing in Munich anyways?" Liesel inquired.

"I am a growing artist in Munich. I'm paid a handsome price for my services."

"Take me, Max. Please, There is nothing I can accomplish in this small town. Take me to Munich." Liesel begged.

"Are you telling Ilsa or are you just going to leave?" Max asked.

"Maybe if you come with me and talk to her, then she will let me. She wants me to do well, so I think she will let me."

"Are we really doing this?" Max smiled.

"Yes we are." Liesel smiled back.

"Let's go then." Max stood up and opened the door.

"I would stay, but it's too sad of a place. Too many sad memories instead of good ones." Max patted the wall then stepped outside.

"Max, excuse me if I'm a burden." Liesel apologized.

"Nein Liesel, you are family to me. After what you did during the war for me, I need to pay you back somehow." The sun began to reach the peak of day, and so lunchtime rounded the bend.