Behind Closed Doors

The train ride was brief. Liesel watched out her window for most of the trip. Occasionally, she would look over at Max, who was sketching nearby passengers.

"Sorry Liesel, this pencil could do you no justice." Max shrugged at her. Liesel continued to watch him draw an old man with a pipe who sat in the seat on the other side of the aisle. Max sighed.

"What is the matter?" Liesel questioned Max.

"I long to see my girl, and to draw her beautiful face once more. Her beauty never bores me to draw. I've done many artworks of her. Charcoal, watercolor, collage-I've done it all except oil paint." Max smiles and closes his eyes in remembrance of Sylvi.

"Is Sylvi good to you?" Liesel asked.

"Of course Liesel, do not be silly. She is brilliant and kind. She will love you like a daughter, do not worry." But something in Liesel made her suspicious of Sylvi and she could not point it out.

"I'm sorry Liesel. I'm sorry I left you alone so young. I'm sorry about Rudy. Please forgive me." Max then slipped his hand into his art book and pulled out a charcoal work that very much appeared to be Rudy.

"How did you know what he looked like?" Liesel gasped in amazement.

"You always talked about him and showed me pictures of him." She now realized that Max paid attention to every detail.

"Danke, this means so much to me. I miss him everyday and it pains me to even think about." Liesel locked her gaze solely to the realistic and beautiful art. At first she was concerned it would wrinkle and tear at the edges. The first thing she'd like to do in Munich is get a frame so she can keep it propped at her bedside. She'd pray at her knees to the picture of her dear friend. Gingerly, she loosely rolled the page and clipped the top. She looked over at Max who began to let creativity take over him and his drawings. He drew exaggerated features and comical heads. And Liesel watched by his side. A voice warming and loud bellowed in the cart.

"We will arrive at Munich, Germany in approximately five minutes. Please remain seated and enjoy the rest of your ride, danke."

A women then turned around and left. At this moment Liesel realized what she had done, that she had left everything she knew behind, and that had put a grin on her face. She could hear, smell, taste, touch, and see Munich from here. And it made her close her eyes and think of it all. She threw her head back and looked to the ceiling, and everything seemed alright. She opened her eyes for just a second and peered over at Max, whom she caught staring at her.

"It appears you have reached pure happiness." Max said to her.

"It feels amazing, it feels like...like... everything all of a sudden has fallen into place." Liesel whispered.

"As it always will." Max commented. The train began to slow down, and the beautiful, clear sky said goodbye in exchange for a dim train station. The two pressed their way through the flood of monotone coats and suits. Liesel snagged onto Max's suitcase handle as he cleared a path for them. From the stairs they looked down and saw a sea of people, and a few strips of sunlight slicing in through the doors and windows. Liesel breathed, breathed the Munich air in.

"Let us go." Max tugged his suitcase and Liesel followed. The anxiety of seeing what was outside these doors made Liesel's heart thump. Max pushed open the door and behold, Munich. The Victorian buildings touched the sky. People were drinking and merry. Liesel looked on with wide eyes.

"Come, we will show you around tonight." Max smiled. Liesel aimlessly followed Max at her own leisure. She loved everything she saw, even the rubble of buildings in this post-Nazi era. There were parks and fields of wide open grass, and bars at every corner. The town was alive. She unbuttoned her jacket and took it off, and the sun beat down on her happy face. Max turned back and paused. He watched her head stick up to the sky.

"Let me show you something." Max hollered at his friend across the street. Liesel looked down for the first time in minutes and caught back up with Max.

"I will show you when I get home." He explained. Liesel became curious, but remained side tracked with the world around her. She saw girls in beautiful green and maroon dresses.

"Max, why are they dressed in those dresses?" Liesel asked.

"It's what people wear sometimes Liesel, I don't know." Max answered.

"They are amazing." Liesel whispered under her breath.

"Well maybe tonight we can help you look for one you like." Max offered.

"That is kind of you to offer, but I would much rather explore the city." Liesel kindly declined.

Soon they made it to an apartment building. Max greeted the receptionist and clicked number ten on the waiting elevator.

"You live on the top floor?" Liesel questioned.

"Yes, the only floor with an apartment the size of a house." He sighed.

"Are you excited to meet Sylvia once more?" Liesel chokes on the question.

"Yes, I have longed to see her, and she will be so happy to discover that I came home early and with you." Max smiled down to Liesel who tried not to appear sad.

"She sounds nice. I cannot wait to meet her." Liesel quickly smiled.

The elevator chimed and the doors opened. Flooring fit for kings welcomed them to the hallway. The doors were deep brown and sleek.

"Here we are." Max whispered. He pulled a key out of his pocket and turned it in the door.

"Shhh." He smiled to Liesel who quietly tiptoed into the living room. Max followed soundlessly.

"Where is she?" Liesel whispered.

"Probably in the bedroom." Max answered. He made his way to the closed bedroom door and smiled. He heard her in there and it made him excited. Alas, he flung the door open and held a box at his stomach. But what he saw did more than just melt him inside; it turned his heart black and rotten. The ring, everything, gone.