Hit Hard

It was now September. The uncertain weather of March had long since passed and the first signs of autumn had appeared. Liesel was back in college now, and Max was presenting his artwork in three days. Today, the sun burned everything in orange, including the sky. The natural sunlight lit the studio with ease.

"Liesel." Max rested his hand against her door and his head against the frame.

"Can I come in?" Muffled words had been said on the opposite side of the door.

He made the decision to open her bedroom door.

Liesel's head was buried in her arms, and her hair surrounded her in an unkept sea of golden curls. She had her legs pulled to her chest. Her stockings were in disarray as well as her college notes and books.

"Liesel, what is the matter?" Max responded to the image in a calm and nurturing voice. He took a seat at the edge of her bed and poked her shoulder.

"Don't look at me." Liesel answered miserably.

"Why not?" Max stayed seated on her bed.

"I have been crying." Her toes squirm in her stockings.

"So? I am here because I am concerned." Max did not know what to do. Should he hug her? Leave her alone? He decided to sit there. Eventually, she had picked her head up to reveal her beautiful doll eyes, in all of their raw and pink innocence.

"My God, what is the matter?" Max squinted.

"Everything. My writing is atrocious, even my professor says so. I'm not making it in the literary world. To add to my guilt, I have nobody. I don't have friends and Ilsa is in Mulching." Liesel explained.

"You don't need friends, you know that? I'm here and I'm your friend as well as your family. You can call on me to help support you." Liesel stared at him with shimmering cheeks and clumped eyelashes.

"It's true." Max shrugged.

"I just feel lonely anymore. No one talks to me at school, I'm just a shadow in the halls." Max felt awful for Liesel, and he felt pain for her. But he will never understand how Liesel feels because of her past.

"Cheer up." Max stood and looked down at her.

"You know why they cause you so much pain?" Max asked.

"Because I'm a girl, I know. It hurts to be put down especially over something that I care about so much." Liesel became frustrated.

"It's post-war and that means less women in the workforce and more women at home tending to children."

Liesel looked up at Max very much concerned.

"But don't fret, I'm not going to make you stay home. Please, follow your passion and become a successful writer." Liesel mentally sighed a sigh of relief and smiled at Max.

"Don't cry either, I'm not so good with handling emotions." Max lightheartedly raised his finger in a scolding manner.

"Did Sylvia have a job?" Liesel asked as she wiped away her salty tears.

"No, she stayed home and cleaned brushes for me and managed the house." Max was caught off-guard by the question. It's been so long since that name has been mentioned to him.

"I want to be good to you Max. Your life is important to me since you've altered it to include me. I want it to be a good life."

"It is a good life." Max reached out his hand to Liesel.

"C'mon then. A person with class and high morals such as yourself can't go to the Gala without a proper dress." Liesel grabbed the long hand in front of her and jumped to her feet. She reapplied her makeup and combed her hair.

The two left the apartment and walked down the sidewalk. Men and women alike glared in jealousy at the seemingly childish relations. Women envied Liesel's freedom and men scowled at Max and called him stupid for granting her privileges. Immune, the two walked with corrected posture and long strides.

"We are walking towards the train station." Liesel observed.

"Yes we are."

They walked down the sidewalk lit with lampposts and neon signs. Window fronts were filled with products: chocolates, clothing, and books. It was a strip of shops with people running about. Bags of all sorts bounced around on shoulders and in hands. Perfume, wine, and glass cleaner strung out down the street and dissipated along the way.

"Here Liesel." Max pointed to a storefront that displayed dresses of all kinds and colors.

"This is the shop I wanted to go to." Liesel smiled.

She opened the door and the bell chimed from above.

Rows of dresses and shoes adorned all four walls. The pair was greeted by a worker, and was given a tour of the colors and styles.

Liesel selected a mature, red tea length swing dress with gold embroidered on the neckline. Max found a matching tie in the small men's department tucked next to the register.