Before the Sunrise

All of Molching hung still and depressed on this early morning. If taupe was a feeling, a sound, an emotion- taupe is today. Liesel woke early, earlier than Max had told her. She went over to her dresser and clawed out piles of dresses, cardigans, sweaters, skirts, socks, and much more. She reached under her bed and scavenged around until she felt the cold, leather handle from her suitcase. All of her clothes were hastily stuffed into the suitcase, along with an extra pair of shoes, a deck of cards, the accordion, and journals. On a piece of paper, she had written down the telephone numbers of Ilsa and Herr Steiner, then placed it in her dress pocket. She tip-toed down the stairs and darted to the bathroom where she took a toothbrush, soaps, and perfume. She raided Ilsa's shelf for just one book; the Whistler and now Ilsa has replaced it with a minted copy. Liesel raced silently up the stairs and piled all of her needs into the suitcase. She stared out her bedroom window, which overlooks the street, and waited for Max ever so anxiously. Not even the slightest streak of guilt came over her as she smiled out the window. Cars and trucks went by down at the main road. Ilsa stirred down below, and Liesel instinctively tossed the suitcase under the bed and pretended to sleep under her covers. As Ilsa neared, Liesel closed her eyes and breathed slow. Ilsa stopped for a moment in the doorway of Liesel's room, and then found her way back to her's. After she was positively gone, Liesel pulled away her covers and grabbed her suitcase. She swiftly glided down the stairs again and slipped her way through the oiled window in the study. After a graceful and successful landing, Liesel wiped off the dirt on her knees and waited at the curb of the sidewalk. Occasionally, she looked back at the house to make sure no one was watching her. The wristwatch that she wore illuminated 5:40. She prayed that Max would show up because he is her way out of Molching for good. A shadow appeared of a man in a trench coat unbuttoned. His long legs gracefully stepped, never to hear a shoe click. Liesel waited for him atop her suitcase.

"Halloa, Liesel." Max grinned brightly to her. Liesel in return smiled back.

"Max..." Liesel showed him the suitcase.

"Oh no, no Liesel, you stay here. Ilsa said-"

"I know what Ilsa said Max, but I don't care, just take me." Liesel begged and Max scowled back.

Max sighed and clenched his jaw. "Why must you make this so hard? That's what I love about you, but it is also something I don't like. You always complicate things." Max lectured. He buried his hands into his hair to think.

"Ah, fine. Come now before I change my mind." Max raged.

"Thank you." Liesel gratifyingly smiled.

"I can't believe I'm kidnapping you." Max huffed in disbelief.

"It's not kidnapping, consider it running away." Liesel corrected him. Both of their suitcases sway in unison as they disappear into the fog of the early morning.

"I cannot thank you enough for letting me come along. You are truly my savior." Liesel tells Max.

"Really?" Max ponders aloud.

"Of course Max, I have no role model except for you. You kept me sane during the war, but you also kept me insane after you ran away. It seems I cannot have a mutual feeling around you, all of the emotions I feel around you are extreme and distinct." Liesel expresses.

"Extreme feelings? Like what?" Max asks for examples.

"I sometimes feel at peace but also disrupted around you at the same time. It is confusing to explain, but even more confusing to experience." Liesel answers.

"Oh...I am sorry if I ever have caused you pain, you know I would mean nothing by it. And if you told me I would fix it." Max states. Liesel can't help but laugh out loud at the irony.
Max, oh you clueless Max, you have no idea how many times you have stabbed and twisted my heart into nothing. You don't know how bad it feels, the pain I endure Liesel thinks.

"What is so funny?" Max demands.

"Nothing Max." Liesel sighs. The walk is silent, but the chirping crickets and shuffling leaves makes use of this time to be heard. Liesel wanders into deep thought about absolutely nothing. Max soon interrupts her by elbowing her side. She looks over to Max who hands her a train ticket.
"Good thing I bought an extra."

"How long is the ride?" Liesel asks.

"About a half an hour or so. It's not too far and we will be there by daybreak." Max huffs into his hands to keep them alive during this chilling morning.

The two walk as shadows, darker than the navy blue sky and gray trees around them. Liesel's eyes stayed fixated on the world in front of her and not behind. Not once did she look back or frown in regret. She knew this was her future. Max often looked down at her to make sure she was alright with her decision.