Eternal Refuge

There was no where for Max to run to, or so he thought. Alexander Steiner's shop was rooted in the center of town, and perhaps he was still there. The cobbles were hazardous from the rain, but Max skidded along the walk in his black Oxford shoes until he came to the familiar intersection where the tailor shop stood to his right. He could see that a small light glowed in the back of the building, and Max's luck turned for the better. A simple, single knock on the door managed to find its way from Max's clenched fist. Clattering, a bang, then mumbling followed, though it was all muffled by the glass storefront. Herr Steiner peaked his hawk-face from around the corner with a suspicious glare. Impatiently Max stood drenched from the rain and lack of a store awning until Herr Steiner, upon closer inspection, identified the visitor as Liesel's friend. At once he was welcomed into the dry store coated in dust from years before.

"Max? What are you doing in Mulching?" Max could barely compile words into phrases to craft sentences because he could not stop thinking about Liesel and her book. There was much that needed to be said, screamed, cried- there were lost feelings or possibly new ones that deserved exposure. A few moments ago he pierced the blue eyes of the girl who could not stop writing about him. He stalked her innocent eyes and it nearly made him laugh that Liesel Meminger had ever developed feelings for him. But he was banished from her home, so he had not the chance to settle the feelings of the book or of each other. Two minutes more would have sufficed. One perhaps. Tomorrow he could explain to Liesel that he read her book and ask her if what she wrote was true.

"Alright, come along." Max never got around to answering the commentary of Herr Steiner, but he felt an awkward tension, almost a jealousy, arise from his presence.

"I thank you, Herr Steiner." Pictures of Herr Steiner's deceased children hung plainly on the olive green, pinstriped wallpaper. One of the children, observably the eldest, stuck out from the picture with the palest hue of blond hair Max had ever seen. He felt a lump in his throat form, for he realized who the boy was, the one with the hair the color of lemons. So this was the boy who had captivated Liesel's mind, but failed to capture her heart.

"Why is it that you come here?" Herr Steiner guided Max to a scuffed wooden table behind the wall stacked with fabric. For once Max felt welcomed in Mulching. He was a burden on Rosa (bless her soul) when he made his first appearance, now Ilsa carried the emblazoned torch from before.

"Have you seen the papers?" Max timidly stood in the shadow of Herr Steiner who poured water into two glasses.

"Yes. That is why you are here then, to apologize to Liesel?" The stout man stopped pouring the water to absorb Max's presence. He stood like a wrung out towel in the darkest place of the room, leaving Herr Steiner room in his heart to sympathize with this quiet man.

"Have a seat." Rudy's father instructed Max, and so Max anxiously sat at the table, picking at the chipped surface to ease his worries.

"Do you believe the stories? Do you think I would hurt Liesel and put her life in danger? I am wanted for the creation of anti-communist propaganda, and her name is tied to me." Hollow, completely cavernous, Max's eyes could not level themselves to meet Herr Steiner's who stared so powerfully into the nothingness of the person before him.

"I love Liesel like a daughter, you know. I cannot afford to lose someone else close to me. She has meant the world to me ever since Rudy passed. She is the one thing that lives on from this town, and she needs to be taken care of. I believe that you, Max Vanderburg, are a genuine man." A faint smile cracked through Herr Steiner's stoic mouth, giving Max a surge of optimism.

"Have you any idea on how to keep Liesel safe? The more West you go, the more likely you will escape all your fears." Silence gently hugged the air in the room as Max's mind churned out thought after thought. An idea emerged, dangerous but worth the risk.

"Is there a way to forge Liesel and I false passports? If we can acquire fake passports, we can take a train westward, perhaps farther than Berlin." Max felt foolish for mentioning such a devilish scheme, but it was what would keep him and Liesel away from the Russians. Herr Steiner lifted a finger to his chin in thought, then shook his head approvingly at the proposal of such an absurd idea.

"Herr Homann is an anti-Communist politician and operates as a drucker on the side, selling newsprints and advertisements. He may be able to assist you, but you will have to wait until tomorrow. I will speak with him at his shop." Decisively Herr Steiner slapped his hand against the table, causing the glasses to clatter upon it.

"Just like that? You are going to help?" Max picked at his nails as if that were enough to ease his nerves which incessantly brought on sweat and dry mouth. That tension which Max held to since his intrusion in the night had slackened. Herr Steiner welcomed Max, but Max was too broken to trust the words of Rudy's father.

"Yes. I will help you." The feelings in Max could not sit comfortably with him. For once he was not alone in a battle which he always fought by himself. All he has ever known is a solitary struggle. A life on the run for things he cannot control. He hated the softness it created on his impression, but there was nothing he could do. He needs help now. Herr Steiner disappeared through a doorway and returned with bread. The whole loaf was handed over to Max.

"It is not much, but it is all I can give." He then pulled a bill from his pocket and used it to wipe the water rings off of the table which formed from their glasses.

"Old heirloom. I cannot afford new." Herr Steiner smiled wholesomely with unhappiness at his refugee.

"Thank you for the bread." Max whispered but was not heard. His host hurried to the front of the store to close all of the blinds and ensure that the door was locked. He returned with a sigh.

"I cannot stay any longer. The town will notice that I have been gone for longer than usual, and then they'll begin to talk." He put his hands on his hips and gave the room a look over.

"Ah," he snapped his fingers, "you need something to sleep with." Herr Steiner disappeared once more, but this time he received a pillow and a few yards of wooly fabric fresh off the bolt.

"You're in luck. This pillow is from an order I am completing and these last few yards of wool are the softest and warmest I have." Herr Steiner willfully handed the makeshift sleep set over to Max who looked at him with confusion.

"Pillows? I thought you only made clothes?" Max questioned as he laid down his bedding on the rug beneath the table.

"Work is work. I will do upholstery or whatever else I can to stay alive." He crossed his arms decisively. Max firmly nodded his head then watched as Herr Steiner turned off all of the store lights before wondering off as if Max never existed. By the small light of a singular shaded lamp, Max situated his pillow and swatch of wool into their final places before laying down upon them. He could not sleep, for many fear chased him all through the the night.

The first fear was the fear of being caught. The second fear was the fear of Liesel being caught by spies. The night drained into early morning. Max swore he could already feel the sunrise and Herr Steiner on his way back to the shop.