Chapter 12: Sleight of Hands

/12/
Sleight of Hands

---

REIN TAPPED his pen anxiously on the blank, scratch paper next to his book, one hand resting under his cheek

REIN TAPPED his pen anxiously on the blank, scratch paper next to his book, one hand resting under his cheek. The lamp on his desk was the only source of light in his room as he tried to read in advance for his classes — sadly, to no success.

Despite already approaching midnight, the Maccio heir couldn't seem to concentrate on his textbooks. He had long given up trying about an hour ago, now letting his mind free to wander.

Unfortunately for him, his thoughts were drifting towards a certain short-haired petite girl who now seemed to occupy his every waking hour

"Argh," the young man scowled, scribbling frustrated nonsense onto the blank paper. Hindi mapigilan nito na maisip ang sinabi niya sa dalaga kaninang hapon, his mouth almost betraying him. 

Sa inis ay ibinagsak ng binata ang ballpen sa lamesa, letting out another groan as he laid his head back against his chair, looking up into the ceiling. He had been so close to asking Ann Lobris to the dance — a move that would have thrilled his father.

"You know the saying, Rein. Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. It'll allow you to pull them down easier."

Naririnig niya ang boses ng kaniyang ama, dahilan para mapailing ang binata. 

Despite convincing his father that he was seducing Ann to know the Lobris secrets, Rein knew that he wasn't a sadist who can manipulate the girl he had gotten to know further in the last year — the girl he was starting to get dangerously fond off.

Napapikit ang binata, attempting to escape reality. 

He however found this to be a huge mistake when he inadvertently saw Ann's face smirking at him. 

Napasigaw agad ito, muntik nang mawala sa balanse sa kaniyang upuan dahilan para biglang bumukas ang pintuan ng kanyang kwarto.

"ANO 'YON?!" sigaw ni Jarrell habang hawak-hawak ang isang malaking bote ng softdrinks sa kaniyang kamay na para bang baseball bat ito.