Chapter 14: Cafeteria Poison

/14/
Cafeteria Poison

---

ANN PLACED the photo of their last suspect on the corkboard, pinning it with a tack

ANN PLACED the photo of their last suspect on the corkboard, pinning it with a tack. With a satisfied nod, she then stepped backwards, hands on her hips as she scrutinized the newly-put up evidence board that they had created for the vandal case.

Kakatapos lang i-finalize ng anim ang kanilang mga suspects after yesterday's inspections, something which they had debated over hours for.

"Sigurado ba tayo na ito na 'yung final list of suspects?" the short-haired girl asked her friends who were standing beside her, staring too at the board that they made.

"They were the ones that showed suspicious behavior and provided inconsistent alibis, so yes," Rein, who was leaning against the wall, was the first to answer. This prompted his rival to roll her eyes.

"Yes, pero baka may nakaligtaan tayo," she said in annoyance. "Queenie, who else do you have in your list based on your research?"

Napatingin naman si Queenie sa kanyang laptop na buhat-buhat ng dalaga. Her dark curls were pulled back in a bun, and her forehead was creased in concentration as she scrolled through the initial list she and her twin had collected last night.

"I think nailagay naman na natin lahat... oh wait," she stuttered, before rushing towards the nearby printer.

Napatingin ang lima sa kanya habang isinaksak niya ang connector ng printer sa kanyang laptop. In the span of a few minutes, she was able to produce another photo.

"We forgot the most popular rebel in school," Queenie grinned, pulling out the ejected photo from the output tray. She then walked towards the board, pinning the photo herself.

When she stepped back herself, the six then stared at the final photo — the face of a bored-looking Emerie Louise Castrana staring right back at them.

"Of course," Sera murmured. "How did we almost skip her?"

"We didn't, thanks to Queenie," Ann remarked, giving her friend a proud pat. Queenie rolled her eyes before smiling in appreciation. "Kailangan nating ma-interview ulit ang mga 'to as soon as possible. While contacting them, hatiin na natin kung sino-sino ang mag-oobserve sa suspects."

As the Campus Sleuths' president was about to delegate which suspects should each sleuth keep an eye out for, bigla namang tumunog ang speaker sa loob ng kanilang opisina at bumukas ang television screen na katabi nito.

"An announcement?" kunot-noong tanong ni Quinn habang lumapit ang anim papunta sa TV. "May nakalimutan ba tayong ganap ngayong araw?"

At that moment, the television screen focused on the podium where Castillo High's student council logo was engraved in its wood. Agad na umakyat at humarap rito ang matangkad na presidente ng student council. He had with him a folder which he placed on top of the podium.