Chapter 19

The next morning it took me a minute to remember where I was and what was going on around me. Looking to my side I saw Peeta was still sound asleep. I smiled and kissed his shoulder, then I slowly got out of bed. I picked up a random shirt, pants, and jacket. I walked downstairs to get a bowl to put the snow. I was right when I said Gale would need more. I put on some boots and went outside. I crouched by a pile of snow and started taking it apart and putting it in the bowl. Moments later Prim came out of the house and joined me.

After a moment of silence she spoke up, "Your eye looks better."

"It's not bothering me," I told her, "How can anyone live in this conditions. It's like they're just waiting for all of us to drop like flies!" I muttered.

"It's not living. But since the last Games, something is different. I can see it."

I looked at her confused, "What can you see?" I remember how young Prim was at the time of the Reaping last year, but compared to now, she seemed so much older.

"Hope."

I blinked and turned back to my task, "You do understand that everything I do comes back to you, Katniss and Mom, right? I don't want any of you to get hurt."

"You don't have to protect me, or Mom, and definitely not Katniss," She giggled and I couldn't help but smile, "We're with you," I hugged her and she wrapped her arms around me.

"I love yo Prim," I told her.

"I love you too."

~

A few hours later, The Capitol turned on our TVs to announce what they were planning for the Quarter Quell. Katniss, Mom, Prim, Gale, Peeta and I sat around the TV and watched.

President Snow stood behind a podium and silenced the crowd watching from The Capitol, "Ladies and gentlemen! This is the 75th year of the Hunger Games. And it was written in the charter of The Games that every 25 years there would be a Quarter Quell to keep fresh for the new generation the memory of those who died in the uprising against the Capitol. Each Quarter Quell is distinguished by Games for a special significance. And now on this the 75th anniversary of our defeat of the rebellion, we celebrate the 3rd Quarter Quell as a reminder that even the strongest cannot overcome the power of The Capitol. On this, the 3rd Quarter Quell Games, the male and female Tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of Victors in each district."

My heart dropped. Mom started crying. Peeta was holding onto me tightly, I think my legs were failing me.

"NO!" Katniss screamed at the TV.

"What does he mean?" Prim asked, no one answered her.

"Victors shall present themselves on Reaping Day, regardless of age, state of health, or situation."

I got a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach, I ripped myself from Peeta's grasp and sprinted to the bathroom where I barely made it in time before I started vomiting. Prim approached me from behind and held my hair for me. When I finished she hugged me tightly. Mom rushed upstairs when she heard me throwing up, she checked my temperature, and made me pee -she took my...ya know- and rushed downstairs to administer a test while Prim cleaned me up. I continued to cry but a loud outburst downstairs stopped me. Prim and I ran downstairs and we saw Mom and Katniss crying. There was the test on the table, when Prim saw it she seemed to be excited but also upset. I looked around confused and Prim whispered in my ear what the test said. At her words I felt a river of tears fall down my face. My mind was reeling, I had just gotten out of that shithole and now they want me to go back in? Of course I was going back in, I was the only female Victor alive in 12. I thought of Peeta. Then my mind went to Haymitch. An idea popped into my mind.