Chapter 23

After we were escorted off the stage we went back to our floor, Peeta gave me one of his shirts to wear and I put on a pair of shorts. We sat together in the sitting room. I looked off into space.

"There's no way they'll cancel. They won't do it." I muttered, Peeta put his arm around me comfortingly and I put my head on his shoulder right when Effie and Haymitch walked in. We stood up, waiting to hear what news they had.

"The Games are still on." Haymitch announced and I dug my face into Peeta's shoulder defeated, "This is goodbye for now." He smiled sadly and I lifted my head.

"Presents for the boys." Effie gave Peeta and Haymitch black boxes.

"What is it?" Haymitch asked opening his box; Peeta mimicked his actions.

"Your token, remember? Hair for me, pin for Lily, gold bangle for and, and for Peeta- that medallion that we talked about." She smiled to him.

Peeta rubbed his thumb along the small token and smiled, "Thank you Effie."

Effie put her hand on his shoulder and I intertwined my hand in Peeta's, "We're a team. Aren't we?" She asked, she seemed extremely upset but tried to hide it from us. I nodded, she went to give me and Peeta a hug, "And I am so proud of my Victors. So proud...You're so..." She paused, looking at my stomach, "You deserved so much better."

"Thank you Effie," I breathed."

"I am truly sorry." She sniffed, cleaning her tears, she was so broken she needed to leave the room, leaving us with Haymitch.

"Thank you Haymitch," Peeta broke the silence and the two of them hugged, Peeta patted his back, "For everything."

When they broke apart Haymitch turned to me, "Any last words of wisdom you have for me?" I asked.

Haymitch gave me a side smile and nodded, "Stay alive."

He turned and started walking to the door, "Haymitch." I stopped him and gave him a hug, I didn't let go and whispered in his ear, "Remember what you promised me," I let go and looked him in the eye, "Do whatever possible, keep him alive." I could feel my eyes watering.

"Okay." He agreed softly, "Lily, when in the arena; remember who the real enemy is." He stroked my hair and looked down, slightly saddened at my belly before he too left.

~

Peeta and I laid in bed but stayed awake the whole night, too nervous to go to sleep. We were wrapped around each other, his arm around me and I had my arm and leg wrapped around him; I never wanted to let go.

"I just want to be with you in there. No one else," I told him, I lifted myself up slightly so we could look at each other.

Peeta nodded to me, "If that's what you want."

I nodded, "It's what I want," Then I looked down to his lips and leaned in, he was ready for me, and cupped my face with his hands. My hands went on his chest and his abs. I was starting to calm down when suddenly there was a knock at the door, signaling Peeta needed to go and get ready.

"I'll see you soon," He kissed me one more time and reluctantly we unwrapped ourselves from each other. I watched him exit the room upset and terrified. I had no idea what would happen in that arena and I didn't want to be separated from him. 

~

I got into my clothes -which was pretty much like my training uniform- tight but breathable. Then I met up with Cinna and he walked with me to the pod where I would be transported to the arena. Inside the aircraft a Peacekeeper approached me and I handed him my right arm where he proceeded to inject my tacker. I winced at the sudden sharp pain but it quickly subsided. When the aircraft landed Cinna and I walked to the pod.