Chapter 38

I sped back to Command with Haymitch. When I walked in I could hear Finnick's voice coming from the TV screen in the front of the room.

"This is Finnick Odair, winner of the 65th Hunger Games. And I'm coming to you from District 13, alive and well. We've survived an assault from the Capitol..." He paused, "But I'm not here to give you recent news."

I looked at Haymitch confused, "Why is he doing a propo?" 

He shrugged, "It's more than just a propo. When you walked away they still needed someone to shoot, and now that they have the rescue underway they need someone to keep the Capitol occupied."

"Beetee's commandeered the system," Coin turned to me. 

Beetee pointed to one of his many screens, "Now that they're down to generator power there's a more limited range of frequencies available to them." He pointed to the screen with Finnick, "I'm filling them all up with Finnick."

Plutarch inclined his head towards me, "Not many will see it, but whoever does will think it's just another propo."

"What they don't know is this broadcast is jamming their entire system with noise. Early defense warning, internal communications, everything." Beetee informed, "As long as the broadcast goes through, our team should be able to get in and out undetected."

I looked back to Finnick's screen, "The truth. Not the myths about a life of luxury. Not the lie about glory for your homeland. You can survive the arena-" To the side I could see the camera feed coming from the volunteers going to get Peeta. I saw Katniss and Gale's faces. They looked so serious and stone cold. They were getting him for me. "But the moment you leave, you're a slave. President Snow used to sell me..." I sat down, as did Coin and Haymitch. At this point all we could do was watch and wait, "Or my body at least. And I wasn't the only one. If a Victor is considered desirable, the President gives them as a reward or allows people to buy them. If you refused....He kills someone you love." I watched his speech in shock, I had no idea what the Capitol put other Victors through. 

The countdown started to the aircraft reaching the Capitol's perimeter defense system, I held my breath. Hoping; praying that they would make it through without triggering any alarms. The countdown brought me back to the seconds before my games. On the platforms, waiting for the clock to reach zero so I could run. Only difference was this time I couldn't do anything when the countdown reached zero, I could only stand and watch. 

"No response from perimeter defense. We're inside Capitol airspace," One of the pilots announced and I released a sigh of relief.

"To make themselves feel better my patrons would make presents of money or jewelry," Finnick continued. I looked over to Katniss's video and it was like she was looking right at me, letting me know she was okay. "But I found a much more valuable form of payment. Secrets."

A few more seconds passed before we heard, "Command, we have visual on the Tribute center. Initiating final approach."

"See, I know all the depravity, the deceit and the cruelty of the Capitol's pampered elite. But the biggest secrets are about our good President, Coriolanus Snow."

"Command, this is team leader. We will confirm once inside," Boggs' voice rang through the speaker.

"Such a young man when he rose to power. Such a clever one to keep it. How may you ask, did he do it? One word. Poison." The camera feed by Finnick switched to show us what was happening in the Tribute Center, "He stopped every mutiny before it even started," I glanced over to Haymitch who was practically biting his nails watching the volunteer's camera feed.

"Command, we're inside. Heading toward target number one. Cell P45 lower level 2C." Boggs notified.

I watched them put something in the room before slowly creeping in themselves, "There are so many mysterious deaths to adversaries," Finnick's voice was low, "Even to allies who were threats." They started walking down sets of stairs, "Snow would drink from the same cup, to deflect suspicion. But antidotes don't always work, which is why he wears roses that reek of perfume. They help cover the scent of blood from the sores in his mouth that will never heal. But he can't hide the scent of who he really is. He kills without mercy. He rules with deception and fear." At this point my eyes were only watching Gale and Katniss' feed, Finnick's voice was the noise that I heard in the background. "His weapon of choice is the only thing suited to such a man. Poison, the perfect weapon for a snake."