6. The First Night

After about half an hour, Amit finally entered the room. Mansi caught a glimpse of him and quickly looked away. She heard the click of the lock on the door and her heartbeat quickened. She could hear Amit's footsteps approach her. She felt the bed dip next to her and her breathing hitched.

Amit took her hand in his and traced the henna patterns with his fingers. Mansi got goosebumps all over her body from this small gesture. The only sound in the room was made by their heavy breathing. Amit put his finger under her chin and raised her face making her look into his eyes.

"You are the most beautiful woman in the whole world," Amit whispered making Mansi blush profusely. Words ceased to come out of her mouth but the butterflies in her stomach were at full force.

Amit raised Mansi's hand to his lips and kissed it. He slowly let go and stood up, walking towards the window overlooking the garden. Most of the family members were sitting there, having drinks and talking.

Mansi looked at Amit's back and wondered what could possibly be going on in his mind. She got up and walked towards him. Amit looked at her and smiled. She too smiled shyly and finally managed to utter the words, "I will go and get changed." Amit nodded.

Her things were not there yet except for the bag that she got with her. She spotted the bag and wheeled it towards the dressing room. She fumbled around for the light switch and flicked it on. The room was small but neatly kept. There was one door leading to the bathroom and a full-length mirror next to it. Mansi went and stood in front of the mirror, looking at her reflection. She started taking out the pins and unhooking the jewellery. She took out a pack of makeup wipes and wiped off the layers of makeup on her face already feeling much lighter.

As she opened her bun and let her hair fall free, Amit came into the room. "I'm just taking my things to change into," he explained. Mansi chuckled and nodded. She sat down and opened her bag of clothes. Something was wrong!

Mansi had never owned anything like the contents of the bag. It was full of lace, lace in every possible colour. A card was kept on top of it and Mansi picked it up. The card just had a single line in it,

'With love for you to make love.'

Mansi knew it was Swati's handwriting. She cursed under her breath and realised Amit was still in the room. She looked up and their eyes met. There was a mischievous glint in Amit's eyes. He smirked at her before walking out of the room. Blushing, Mansi rummaged around the contents of the bag until she found a not-so-revealing nightshirt. She quickly got inside the bathroom, took a quick shower and changed into the shirt.

It was a black coloured satin shirt that accentuated all the right places of her figure. Feeling self-conscious, she walked out of the changing room. Amit was scrolling through his phone but looked upon hearing her approach. Mansi quickly walked to the other side of the bed and got under the covers.

"Aww honey, No lace?" Amit chuckled making Mansi groan.

"Can we not talk about this!" she muttered making Amit chuckle again.

They sat in silence for a few minutes before Mansi broke the silence, "So, we are married huh!"

It wasn't a question or a statement. It was the realisation of the situation, the fact finally sinking in.

They slept on the opposite ends of the bed that night but when morning came, it was a completely different scene.