15. The Day of Love

Today was the day that Amit had to give his final presentation to the clients. He was feeling confident and was proud of how the final report has turned out. Although he wouldn't admit it, the credit goes to his wife. Standing in the shower, he recalled the vows that they made to each other. Mansi was keeping her part of the deal. He smiled to himself feeling butterflies in his stomach. As he got out of the shower, his clothes were laid on the bed, neatly folded. Mansi wanted to make sure that Amit looks his best today so she went through Amit's closet to pick out an outfit.

Getting dressed in a white shirt, grey blazer and a pair of black pants, Amit couldn't help but notice that Mansi had an amazing sense of style too. He suddenly remembered all the times when they have had to go out and Mansi always looked breath-taking. Even at home, even when she was putting in the minimal amount of effort she was always beautiful.

Mansi had gone to bed around seven in the evening so she woke up even earlier. She found Amit sleeping next to her looking peaceful. Since she had started helping Amit, his health seemed to have improved. She quietly got out of bed, picked up her phone from the side table and went outside. She went into the balcony and immediately felt at peace. The sun was rising and she could hear the birds chirping, the sounds of morning. The cold air felt amazing against her face. As she stood there, she started thinking about her marriage.

Mansi was religiously putting in a lot of effort to make this marriage work but she was unable to feel it reciprocate. Mansi saw how he talked to other people and wished that he would be the same way with her too but that wasn't happening. Mansi's health deteriorating too. She had lost a lot of weight and she had a constant nagging at the back of her mind where she kept on wondering about Amit and if will ever accept her as a wife. Now, standing in the cool morning breeze she made a decision. After this project work was done, she will give Amit the space that he enjoys so much. She wanted Amit to clear his head and she wanted to give herself some rest too. She was unsure if this was the right decision or not but right now it seemed to be the only way to go.

Taking a deep breath, she came inside and started cleaning up. She suddenly felt relieved. Maybe it was because she had finally taken a decision. Mansi was done preparing Amit's favourite breakfast and was setting the table was Amit walked in dressed in the same clothes that Mansi had picked out for him. She smiled on seeing him and served him the food. She too sat down and they had a silent breakfast. They just didn't know what to say to each other. 

Before leaving for office, Amit asked Mansi to meet him at the Sky Lounge at seven. Mansi nodded and smiled at him wishing him luck. Things had become just so awkward between the two of them and they just didn't know how to break this barrier. 

As Amit waited for the clients to arrive, all he could think about was seeing Mansi. He had asked Mansi to come to Sky Lounge because he wanted to start wooing Mansi. Amit was finally ready to accept that he was irrevocably in love with his wife and starting today he will show her that he too can be a good husband. 

The client presentation went amazing and Amit was beyond happy. Three months in and he signed his first client. Now that was an achievement that he could brag about. He couldn't wait to tell Mansi. As he was getting ready to leave, two of his team members came to him and started nagging him to come out and celebrate. In his eagerness to leave, he accidentally let it slip that he was going to the Sky Lounge. Fifteen minutes later, the three of them were in Amit's car driving towards Sky Lounge.

Amit had booked a private table for them on the roof-top overlooking the city which he now had to share with two other people. He was looking around when he saw Mansi walking towards their table. Dressed in a blue saree, she walked towards them confidence radiating out like her aura. Amit's jaw dropped at seeing her bold choice of attire as the blouse that she wore was not your conventional. It was snug and clearly brought out her bulges. This was a new avatar for Amit. She came and sat down at the table and everyone else greeted her. Amit came out of his trance and finally gave her a smile. 

Mansi was disappointed. She had expected at least some complement about the saree but let it go. Amit wanted to compliment her but didn't know how she might take it so he kept quiet. They had a nice time. Amit also relaxed after a while and enjoyed the company and the ambience.  

They come back together and as usual, the ride was silent throughout. Both of them were lost in their own thoughts. Amit was imagining a scenario where his colleagues hadn't interrupted while Mansi was wondering how to go about giving Amit space.

When they reached their home, Amit decided to come clean and tell her about his feelings. He hadn't wanted it to be so sudden for her and wanted to woo her properly, the way a girl should be wooed but he was so overwhelmed by his realization that he decided to just tell her.

"Ma...," Amit had just started when Mansi also spoke up, "I know you don't love me."

Amit went silent. He knew what was happening. He knew he had pushed it too far and he was late. Mansi had kept up with him for the past few months but as Amit looked at her he knew that he took it too far.

"Amit, I know that you have been unable to develop any feelings for me so after a lot of thinking I have decided that I will give you as much space as you want. I feel like I am a hurdle in your like. If I am with you, you might feel obliged to be with me and you might never be able to meet your true love and I do not want to be the person to take away that chance from you." Mansi finished with a sigh.

Amit just stood there with no reaction. Mansi stood there hoping to get some reaction out of Amit but when she saw that she was waiting in vain, she left. She went to the guest room directly and locked herself in. She had left some clothes in this room before leaving for the lounge. She had decided that she will talk to Amit as soon as they will return home and so she did. She knew she sounded broken while speaking and she hated that. She was a strong woman and she did not want to show her weaknesses to anyone.

Amit walked towards their room, defeated. He didn't know what to do anymore...

*******************

VOTE COMMENT SHARE