16. The Aftermath

Things were bad. After Mansi's outburst, they stopped talking completely. Mansi was miserable. She started avoiding Amit as much as possible. She still continued to do all her chores and religiously prepared food for him, she did it before he got up or got back from office. They were never in the same room and the situation was so bad that in the past week Mansi had seen Amit only three or four times. Mansi's work had also started so both of them were extremely busy and occupied in their own lives. Mansi was over-working herself so that she could keep herself occupied. 

This couldn't go on. It was affecting both of them in a bad way. Mansi remembered Amit's face and his swollen eyes as if he hadn't been sleeping. She too was becoming an insomniac and an extreme loss in her appetite. She decided to talk to Amit today. She wanted to know if Amit has reached a decision.

The problem was, both of them were clueless about what to do to make things right between them.

Mansi decided to cook Amit's favourite dinner and set the table. Then she went and washed up. She did not want to look like a wreck in front of Amit especially when she wanted to ask him such a question. Amit came right on time, like every other day. He saw that the table was set and that Mansi was standing next to the table with an expectant expression on her face. He kept his bag on the living room table and folded up his sleeves. He went to the kitchen basin and washed his hands. 

As usual, Mansi served him food and Amit was suddenly overwhelmed when he saw that she has cooked his favourite dishes. As Mansi sat down opposite him, contemplating how to start the conversation, Amit spoke, "I'm so sorry Mansi. Can you just talk to me...please? I cannot take this silence anymore!"

Mansi was shocked but she smiled at Amit and nodded. "Believe me Amit, I cannot take it any longer too." 

Amit relaxed in his seat and they had dinner in a comfortable silence where both stole glances at each other, sometimes noticing sometimes missing each other's eyes. As both of them were relaxed and properly fed, they went to bed after talking about random things for some time. They finally slept peacefully after so many days and woke up with Mansi wrapped in Amit's arms.

The meaning of family was becoming clearer to both of them. It isn't all cherry and roses but it's beautiful to have someone in your life whom you can trust without a doubt. Amit knew that Mansi was his soulmate but Mansi's hopes were at a stall. She wasn't having second thoughts about them but at the same time, something was bothering her.

They woke up in good spirits the next morning and both went about their routine. Mansi had to go to her office today as she had to submit her documents to be verified. When Amit came out of the bedroom, he saw that Mansi was all dressed. He sat down and as Mansi was serving him food, he asked her if she was going out today and she filled him in. Amit asked Mansi why she didn't tell him about before and he could have made breakfast today but Mansi just smiled and said that it was okay and that she would tell him the next time. Amit dropped Mansi at her office at the correct time for her appointment.

By noon, Mansi was back at home. She was just done having some fruits and was cleaning up after it when her mobile chimed. She quickly dried her hands and checked the message. It was Amit; he was asking her if she was free in the evening. Mansi replied with a yes and went back to the kitchen station. The phone chimed again so she went back to check and it was Amit. 

Amit was asking Mansi out on a date and he was nervous. Mansi smiled on reading the message and said yes. Amit left office earlier and went to the nearest florist to get Mansi some flowers. He reached the restaurant earlier and asked the manager to arrange for a romantic setup. They set up a table near the pool with perfect lightning and Mansi was led to the table as soon as she arrived.

*************

VOTE COMMENT SHARE