intro

The sun was beginning to come up but its rays never entered the enclosed loading docks

The sun was beginning to come up but its rays never entered the enclosed loading docks. Inside was cold, filled with unopened boxes and the distinct weathered smell of cargoes. Two children sat side by side, their eyes covered with a tight handkerchief.

The little girl bit her lip. Her father had required her to be strong but she was on the verge of crying. "I wanna go home! I wanna see my daddy!"

"Shh, it's okay." The older boy nudged his shoulder to hers, the only comforting action he could make through their restraints.

The boy rubbed his wrists together, hissing when the rope sliced his tender skin. "Hey, come on. I'm here, aren't I?" he muttered softly. His eyes were covered but his ears sensed the fear in the girl's voice. "I'll defeat all the bad guys."

Gladness filled her heart that she wasn't alone right now. "Really?"

"Of course. I'm strong. You'll be okay." The boy wiggled his body until he heard the clink of his treasured necklace on the floor. He maneuvered himself, feeling the floor for the bump. He smiled as he picked it up using the limited movement of his fingers. He dropped it somewhere along the girl's lap. "Do you feel that?"

"Yes." She curled her fingers over the object, holding it tightly.

"Hold on to that. It will make you strong." The boy took a deep breath. He pushed and pulled at his shackles. When the rope finally loosened around his hands, he grinned. It was just like what his father taught him.

He shot to his feet and aided the girl beside him. He met her shimmering grey eyes before he forcefully dragged her upwards. They dashed towards the steel doors when it opened.

He shoved the girl forward. "Go! Run!"

The girl ran straight ahead. Her eyes were blurry after being covered for so long. The harsh wind from the sea didn't help the situation. It made her messy hair slapped against her face. She must have lost her ribbon inside the container.

Her lungs felt like lead now. She huffed loudly and knew she should continue to run. But she was worried over the boy who had helped her.

She shut her eyes and skidded to a halt. Taking a risk, she hid behind a cargo container and glanced at the scene behind her.

It was a ruckus.

Her desperate eyes searched for the boy but the only thing she could distinguish was the sun shining against his golden hair.

✘✘

Some Mafia Jargon

Some Mafia Jargon

La Cosa Nostra. The term cosa nostra, which is sometimes translated from Italian to mean "our thing," originally referred to the general lifestyle of organized criminals in Sicily.

Omerta. Omerta is the Mafia code of silence.

Made man.This is a man who has been officially inducted into a Mafia family.

Family. Each individual gang within the Mafia.

Boss or don. the leader of each family

Underboss. the second in command. The amount of power he wields can vary. Some underbosses resolve disputes without involving the boss. Some are groomed to replace the boss if he is old or in danger of going to jail.

Capo. acts as a lieutenant, leading his own section of the family. He has specific activities that he operates. The capo's territory may be defined geographically or by the rackets he operates. The key to being a successful capo is making money. The capo keeps some of the money his rackets earn and then passes the rest up to the underboss and boss.

Soldiers. does all the dirty work. A soldier is the lowest rank among made men. The number of soldiers that belong to any given capo can vary tremendously.

Associates. are not actual members of the Mafia, but they work with Mafia soldiers and capos on various criminal enterprises. An associate is simply someone who works with the mob, including anyone from a burglar or drug dealer to a lawyer, investment banker, police officer or politician.

source: howstuffworks.com/mafia