23 | hid and hidden

Castor had expected Callista's wrath and biting comments

Castor had expected Callista's wrath and biting comments. But none came. After showing her bratty mode, she shifted to her take-no-shit audacious self. Her quiet confidence surged in invisible electric waves that even the gangster in front of them held his opening remarks.

Oliver Dewan took a quaff from his cigarette, leaning against the graffiti lined wall of a children's playground. "You want to talk?"

"Three years ago—"

"Woah, man. You think I remember that. Can't even remember where I was last night." He blew out smoke that smelled like piney, skunky grass.

Castor snatched the roll from his fingers. He dashed forward, forearm on the thin man's neck. "But you remember me, don't you?" He gritted out, digging his arm further. "Get serious."

"Cas, he can't talk like that." Callista stood beside him that he hesitantly let go of the lanky man. "There was a shootout and you fought back. Did you have an altercation with the Lucianos?"

Castor let him go. He coughed, massaging the sore spot on his throat. "N-no. Everyone knows not to mess with Blackjack and his family." The red vessels in his eyes grew darker with his increasing stress. "But there was this man... in Lux. He started it."

Castor and Callista threw a knowing glance at each other. Cas' heartbeat elevated as he blurted out his next question. "How do you know he was mine?"

"A reddish cigarette burn," he snapped. Oli's fingers trembled without his fix, his voice scratchy as he continued talking. "I just exited the toilet and saw this man, hidden in the shadows but I could see his left hand and the motherfucker was shooting calmly." He shrugged. "I shot back and people scrambled. I tried to chase him but he was fast."

"That's all?" Castor asked. "If you're lying—"

"Cas, we saw him came out of the toilet."

"I'm not lying! I was in Lux to get some ass, not to die!" Oliver fidgeted the amulets and necklaces on his neck. "It wasn't reported so I just thought Luciano covered it up. And man," he grinned, lips stretched in amusement, "you and Castellano are the only people who could get away with anything."

Callista resumed the interrogation in his stead as Cas kept quiet. His head whirled at the thought that someone had acted without his orders. His fists clenched, nails piercing through his palms. He saw red.

Castor Luciano spun on his heels. Leaves and twigs snapped under his boots as he crossed the park towards his car.

The Ferrari 458 Spider shone in its yellow glory. He was tempted to kick it but held himself and crouched, punching the cement instead. His skin broke as the pain lanced from his fist to his arm.