03 | gold and golden

The only time Callista Genovese felt guilt was when her bodyguard was shot in front of her

The only time Callista Genovese felt guilt was when her bodyguard was shot in front of her. She had nightmares for days that turned into weeks. Knowing someone had died for you was like committing an unforgivable sin. It eroded her soul and for the first time, she had hated her sparkling life. Eventually, it led her to have a vacation which lasted for three years.

Castor stopped his car in the front doors of the Genovese mansion and waited for her to get out.

The mansion was surrounded by a wide garden. It had no neighbors since the Genovese's owned most of the land area.

NYC used to be filled with countless buildings and sky towers. But after the gang disputes, everything were in ruins. The city's prestige dropped down that almost nobody wanted to buy land.

"Hey, this is your house. Have you forgotten?" He rolled his eyes, pinching her cheeks. "Callista!"

Callista jostled herself from his grasp. "Just wait. I'm composing myself."

"Can you hurry up? It's already evening." Castor inclined back to his seat, arms under his head. He closed his eyes. "I'm fucking beat."

"Don't you want to go inside?" Callista asked. She hoped he would because she wasn't looking forward to facing her father alone.

"No."

"Why not?" She whined this time.

"I'm tired." Castor bent down and searched his glove box. He pulled out a golden necklace with a cross pendant on it. He threw it to her. "I got this from your apartment before I burnt it down."

"You what?"

Castor cleared his throat. "Well, technically it was a gas leak."

"You're preposterous!" Callista grabbed the necklace from him. She stormed out of the car without looking back.

"See you tomorrow, your majesty!"

She ignored Castor's gibes and stood in front of the huge white double doors of the mansion. Callista wore her necklace, gaining courage from it and took a deep breath. She pushed the doors open and found herself once again in the large Venetian foyer.

Callista twirled, scanning the place and remembered the last time she had been here.

✘✘

"Daddy, I want to go!" Callista shouted, dragging her luggage with her.

Caesar Genovese shook his head. His grey eyes were wide with worry. "You're being unreasonable! It was natural for a bodyguard to protect you!"

"No! He wouldn't have gotten shot if I don't have bodyguards in the first place! I hate this life! I hate people following me! I hate people watching what I do!" Her identical grey eyes turned a shade darker. Callista stomped her foot, hoping that she got her point across.