19 | cheat and cheaters

Callista Genovese was on her third glass of bourbon

Callista Genovese was on her third glass of bourbon. It had been a few minutes since Castor left and that meant she was alone with her thoughts for 16 minutes now.

The raging music of the club couldn't silence her guilt. This party was supposed to be her way of giving gratitude but she didn't feel thankful at all. She couldn't forget Delilah's dejected face. She had destroyed their blossoming friendship because of what again? Caly wanted to laugh and cry, mostly laugh. She felt horrible. She didn't even know Delilah that well and she had broken her heart.

She downed another glass, surveying the pack of grinding bodies. Vincent was dancing with two women, an enormous grin on his face.

At least someone's happy.

"Caly!" Mallorie pushed past the crowd and reached her corner. Her brown locks were in a bun, stray hair dangling over her forehead.

"Hey." She smiled as Mal kissed her cheek. "Where's Tori?"

"What do you think?" Mal gestured for a waiter and ordered tequila for both of them. It arrived and Caly gulped it immediately. "I knew something bothered you."

"Really?" She smirked and took another shot.

"I know you." Mallorie gripped her own shot glass. "You love being the center of attention, Caly. You should be in that crowd right now."

Callista blew out a gush of air, carding her fingers through her midnight tresses. "I don't know. It's not fun anymore."

"And what is fun?"

She shrugged, slumping against the red leather cushion. Caly's silver eyes settled on Mal. "How about you?"

"What?"

"You're usually at that spot." Callista pointed to the bar counter. "Flirting with the bartender."

"Hey! It's research!" Mallorie chuckled, sipping at her drink. Her smile widened as she began to talk. "I finally have enough money to open my bar. I'll show you the place some time."

"Really? Congratulations, Mal." She clasped her friend's hand. She was overjoyed that her friend had begun to reach for her dreams. But Caly also realized how her accomplishment failed in comparison. She took another tequila shot before excitedly saying, "How about we go now?"

"Hey, this is your party." Mal grabbed her couch as Callista tugged at her arm. They laughed when they stumbled a few times before the frigid air hit their faces. "In a rush much?"