08. Budget Badgering

At precisely two hours, fourteen minutes and fifty-nine seconds after noon the next day, a knock sounded at my uncle's front door.

Leadfield poked his aged head out of the pantry.

'Miss, do you wish me to get the front doo—'

He cut off when I scampered past him. 'Don't worry! I'm already on the way.'

'Miss! You're a young lady of the house. This is highly irregular.'

'I know.' I threw him a grin. 'But if he's got to wait until you are at the door, he'll have a coronary.'

I reached the door. With a sweeping curtsy, I pulled it open. 'Welcome to our humble home, Mr Ambrose.'

'Miss Linton.' Giving me a curt nod, he stepped inside. 'Where will I find the opposing party?'

I buried my elbow in his ribs. 'That's my sister and my friend you're talking about!'

'Exactly. Shall we go? I have a feeling that these negotiations will be difficult, and I would like to finish them as quickly as possible.'

'Why in such a hurry? This a family gathering, not business.'

His little finger twitched back and forth, as if shuddering. 'Exactly.'

I rammed an elbow into his side, harder—then winced, and rubbed my stinging elbow. 'Behave yourself, will you? My little sister is a gentle creature.'

'She is? Excellent. Then she will be easy to manipulate.'

'You know...normal people would refrain from saying such a thing aloud.'

'Which is presumably why you are marrying me.'

Damn him if he wasn't right. There were many things to fear about Mr Ambrose. But deep down I knew that he would always tell the blunt, honest truth. Which was why I was simultaneously looking forward to and feeling scared shitless of this little meeting.

'Please follow me.' With a smile, I directed him down the corridor. The sound of doors flying open came from the other end.

'Is he here?' Ella's excited squeak came from down the hall. 'Is he here?'

'What is that noise?' Mr Ambrose enquired. 'Your pet squirrel?'

I gave him a look. 'My little sister.'

'Ah.'

'He's here! Everyone, he's here!'

A white-golden blur came rushing down the corridor, and, a moment later, something frilly and sisterly slammed into Mr Ambrose—and bounced off. Stumbling back, Ella almost landed on her delicate derrière. I reached out to grab her—but she grabbed hold of Mr Ambrose instead. Grabbed him and hugged him.

Mr Ambrose stiffened.

'Oh, I'm so, so glad to finally meet you! Welcome to the family.'

Mr Ambrose responded with eloquently icy silence. Instead of letting go, Ella just squeezed him harder. Then again, maybe he had frozen her solid with his glare. It was entirely possible.

'Oh, I'm so glad I'll finally have a brother! May I call you Rick?'

More silence. Silence so arctic I looked around for a snowdrift in the corridor. Finally, one word came, falling like an executioner's axe. 'No.'

'Thank you, Rick! I'm so glad to know you!'

I had to admit, I was quite impressed at my little sister's selective deafness. It was a useful skill I should try and emulate.