41. Remaining Silent

When Uncle Bufford and I stepped out of the manor, a beautiful coach drawn by a grumpy grey horse was waiting for us.

Lady Samantha leaned towards me. 'Err...I provided the carriage, and I asked my son to provide a team of grey horses, since they're supposed to be lucky. This is what he sent.'

She gave me a pleading look that clearly conveyed the message Please don't dump him! Please!

A broad grin spreading across my face, I stepped towards the horse. 'Long time, no see! How are you, old fellow?'

I reached out to pet the nice horsy, and it snapped its teeth, trying to take my fingers off.

'Just as charming as I remember!' Laughing, I jumped back. Only then, as I could see around the coach, did I notice what was beyond it.

From my feet all the way up to the doors of the church stretched a carpets of blossoms. All kinds of flowers, from daisies over cornflowers and bluebells to buttercups, formed a beautiful tapestry, more resplendent than any carpet human hands could possibly fashion. Yes, I had glimpsed this from upstairs, but from up close...it was just...

Moisture brimming at the corner of my eyes, I turned to the villagers.

'You did this? For me?'

A happy chorus of affirmation came in answer to my question. I looked back and forth between the people and the carpet of flowers, not quite knowing what to say. As Uncle Bufford took me by the arm and led me towards the carriage door, I realized: that beautiful road of blossoms lead straight to him.

To my future.

I swallowed. For the first time it really hit home what that meant. I was getting married. Married. That didn't just mean spending the rest of my life with the man I loved. It also meant spending all those days with him on which I was grumpy, and those days when I'd like to scratch his eyes out. And it meant far, far more than that besides.

We would be living together. What was his would be mine and, much, much worse, what was mine would be his. Was he going to put a padlock on my wallet? Plus, what about in-laws? His mother was wonderful, but his father...the man hadn't even bothered to show up for his own son's wedding, for heaven's sake! And as for my aunt—

I shuddered. Mr Ambrose hadn't really gotten a good, long look at her yet. What if he had yet to realize what a catastrophe she was, and that she was expecting him to pay for expensive balls and parties? And what about housework? And sleeping in the same room, and...and...what about that thing that happened if you didn't have any glove fingers?!

Beside me, Uncle Bufford's beard twitched. It wasn't very likely, but somehow it looked as if he were smiling. 'You aren't getting skittish now, are you, girl?'

I felt a flood of warmth for the grumpy old grizzly bear rise inside me. He'd done exactly what I needed right now: insulted me!

My spine straightened, and I sent a fierce smile his way. 'Of course not!'

'Very well.' Stepping forward, he opened the coach door. 'Should I help you into the coach, or will you help me?'

'The latter, definitely!' Grinning, I hopped up into the coach and helped pull my rotund uncle up the steps. My aunt, sisters and other bridesmaids climbed in behind me.

'Gee-up!'

Out on the box, the driver snapped the whip and the coach began rolling down the driveway. Laughing and cheering villagers ran alongside, and Amy, Cora, Jenny and Adaira leaned out of the windows, waving to the crowd like maniacs.