18. Wholesale Hall

Breathing in deeply, I learned against the closest wall, rubbing my knuckles while I listened to the sound of hurried footsteps fading in the distance. A minute or so later, I heard someone approaching outside. The door was pushed open, and Ella stuck her head inside. 'Is everything all right, Lill?'

'Everything is perfect,' I breathed slowly unclenching my fists and examining my precious engagement ring for damage. Nothing. Good. 'Just peachy.'

'Really? Because I heard a really strange noise from in here, like a beast snarling.'

Well, well. Compliments in the morning are always nice. 'You don't say?'

'Yes, and then three men came running out of here as if the hounds of hell were on their heels.' She glanced around from left to right. 'Do you think it was one of those two big dogs? I'm sure they're really big softies inside, but they do look a bit intimidating, don't they? You don't think those poor men were attacked by them?'

Stepping forward, shook my head. 'I don't really think the dogs will be a problem.' Cracking my knuckles, I walked past her, outside, towards where Mr Ambrose was. Time to get some answers. 'But I have a feeling someone will soon be ravaged by a beast.'

'Oh dear! You think?'

'Yes.'

'What can we do?'

'Nothing. This beast has an iron determination.' My eyes found Mr Rikkard Ambrose and narrowed. 'The victim is already as good as dead.'

'Goodness gracious!'

'Why don't you go fetch a few bandages, Ella?'

'Yes, of course! I'll go and ask the butler right away.'

She dashed off, eager to help. And as for me...

I marched towards Mr Rikkard Ambrose. A few feet away from him, I came to a stop and raised a threatening finger straight at his chest. 'You...you...!'

To his left and right, two low growls began to rise. I looked down at the two beasties standing on either side of him, like a pair of very furry, very long-teethed guardian devils. My eyes narrowed even further.

'Shoo!'

The growling cut off instantly. The two dogs exchanged a look. Then, tucking their tails between their legs, they scampered off after Ella.

Wise decision. I took another step towards Mr Ambrose and, hastily, Karim stepped in my way.

'Sahiba, I don't know what has upset you so, but I am sure the problem can be resolved amicably, without resorting to—'

I cut him off with a look. Yet still, he stood in my way, blocking my path to Mr Ambrose.

Hm...how to get past him?

Oh well, it couldn't hurt to try, could it?

'Shoo?' I said, experimentally.

An indistinct noise came from the back of Karim's throat. His face darkened, and his eyes almost bugged out of his sockets. To judge by his expression, yes, it could hurt to try. It could hurt a bloody lot once he got over his shock and ripped his sabre from its sheath to extract revenge.

Well, I'd best not stand around and wait, then. Using his distraction, I reached past him and grabbed Mr Rikkard Ambrose by the arm.

'You!' I hissed. 'You're coming with me! And don't even think of resisting!'

I tugged and, amazingly, he followed without a word of protest. I dragged him into the front hall and slammed the front door shut behind us. Gesturing all around at the splendour-filled gigantic home, I pinned him to the spot with a death-glare.