37. Unexpected Guest

'Cap...Captain Carter?'

'Miss Linton!' He leapt out of the carriage. 'How fortunate to meet you here!'

'Yes,' came an ice-cold whisper from behind me. 'How fortunate.'

I, however, was unable to turn at the moment. I could only stare. 'Captain Carter? Is it truly you?'

The man in front of me did wear a captain's uniform, and he looked very much like Captain James Carter, but his face was a lot more tanned than I remembered, and there was a rather roguish scar over his right eye. Only when he parted his lips and smirked was I sure. It was him.

'You made it!' I exclaimed. 'You actually made it! I never thought my invitation would actually reach you in time?'

'Invitation?'

The voice from behind me had sunk from low to arctic temperatures. I felt my ears turn red, and quickly cleared my throat.

'It was Adaira's idea!' I whispered, instantly.

'Traitor!' he hissed.

Bad Lilly! Bad Lilly! Sacrificing a friend? How could you?

Well, she was his sister. He wouldn't kill her. Probably.

'Miss Linton!' Pulling open the carriage door, Captain Carter lifted me into the open and hugged me, tight. 'I'm so happy to see you again!'

Whereas whether or not he'll kill the captain after this is still open for debate.

Beside me, a heavy thud sounded. When I glanced up, I saw Karim, who had leapt down from the box and was now standing only a foot or two away, arms crossed, a thunderous expression on his face. Quickly, I slipped out of Captain Carter's arms, before he lost them to a sharp sabre.

'So...you're getting married?' Holding me by the shoulders, he pushed me away far enough to look at me. 'Congratulations!'

I studied him in return. There was not a hint of a grudge on his face, no jealousy or play-acting. He truly meant this, as a friend. Which probably was the reason why he had been permitted to keep breathing so far.

'And to you, too, Sir.' Reaching up, Captain Carter held his hand out to Rikkard Ambrose. 'That is one treasure of a woman you have found there.'

Mr Rikkard Ambrose stared down at the captain's hand for a long moment as if it were the tail of a skunk—then reached out and squeezed, hard. 'Indeed. And I shall never let go.'

'Yes,' the captain wheezed. 'I can see that.'

'Oy, guv!' At the call, we turned towards the coachman on top the captain's rented carriage. 'Can I go? I've bin drivin' 'round this place for hours now. Since ye and dese ladies and gents are goin' the same way anyway...'

'Oh yes.' Smiling up at the man, I waved him off. 'By all means, head home. Captain Carter will be coming with us.'

'He will what?' Beside me, Mr Rikkard Ambrose started growing icicles out of his eyes.

Leaning over, I whispered, 'Don't you want your big rival to witness your triumph?'

Suddenly, his eyes weren't quite so cold anymore. As he took hold of my hand and gazed into my eyes, I saw my own feelings reflected in his deep, dark eyes. 'You are too devious for your own good, Miss Linton.'

'I know,' I whispered and sneaked a kiss onto his cheek.

'Gee-up!' Behind me, the coachman snapped his whip and, turning his coach, sent the horses running down the road. Soon, all that was left was a cloud of dust in the distance. Clapping my hands, I turned to our own coachman, who was looking at our new passenger as if he'd like to snap his spine in two. Or maybe three. Or four.