Chapter X

The day had bled into darkness by the time Bianca rose to her feet. She hardly registered the way her body automatically gave thanks to Morrigan for her visit, the way she made gestures and said the words and bowed in respect. Her mind was a whirlwind of emotion. Relaying the prophecy over and over as if some sense could be drawn from it.

There was a strange hollow feeling in her chest as she slowly made her way back to the castle.

She had never been visited by Morrigan before, though her predecessor had spoke of a time when Morrigan had visited her in a dream. Bianca did not know what to feel - for there was great honour in being visited by the goddess of fate and being a thread to the many woven in destiny's cloth.

But Morrigan's blessing felt more like a death sentence.

Bianca did not know how much time has past when she finally saw the castle again. The life in the Courtyard that she had witnessed earlier was gone, now left dark and abandoned. The large, impossible doors were closed and after a feeble attempt to look around for another way in, she knocked.

The door swung open to reveal Angus, his eyes squinting as he peered down at her. "Where te fuck have ye been?"

Something must have shown on her face - the sheer enormity of the burden placed upon her shoulders - because something in Angus' expression softened. "Ach, come in lass. Out of te cold." He stepped aside to let her pass.

The castle was warmer than she was used to, like someone had lit a great big fire that reached every room and narrow hall. It made her realise how cold she was, of how it must have rained at some point because her dress was soaked through. Staring down at herself; Bianca could see that the hem of her dress was torn and stained with mud and her feet squelched within her boots.

"The Laird wants te see ye, lass." Angus began as he bolted the door behind them with a grunt. "But maybe ye should go clean up first."

Bianca shook her head. "Where is he?"

Angus eyed her with a frown but shrugged. "In his study. I'll take yer."

He tried to make conversation as they walked, Bianca trailing a few steps behind. She knew he kept glancing back to check that she was there. If she didn't know any better, she would have sworn he looked worried.

A few stairs and a passage through a hallway that looked less miserable than the others she had seen, they arrived at door that bore the Lockhart coat of arms proudly. She watched as Angus knocked and a muffled sound prompted him to swing it open.

She could see that Callum was seated at a large desk, maps sewn all over it. Lord Grey hovered by his shoulder, a pipe to his lips and a finger resting squarely on one of the maps. It looked like the had interrupted them and at first glance at the Laird's face, Bianca thought he would kick them out.

But she felt rather than saw his gaze on her and she swore he sat up a little straighter. "Lord Grey," He muttered, turning towards his companion. "Would you excuse us?"

"Of course," The Lord gave a small, tight smile. "We shall resume tomorrow?"

Callum nodded, but his focus was no longer on the Lord with the strange white wig, but sorely fixed on her.

He's the key, she thought as she stared right back. And my undoing. Morrigan's words were haunting her, a ghostly reminder of what was to come and what she had to do.

Lord Grey gave her a small bow as he left, but Angus hovered. Again, Bianca was struck with the strange feeling that he was worried, especially with the way he was glancing between her and Calkum.