Chapter XVIII

The next morning, Bianca awoke early, her stomach in flutters. She had agreed to go riding with Alec, despite the dark looks Callum had cast their way. Rosalind had merely seemed satisfied that Bianca was being occupied by someone other than Callum, gushing at what a marvellous idea it was. Laird MacKenzie seemed delighted by the news that his son and the priestess would be sharing a day together. 

She dressed quickly, favouring a simple dress over the extravagant blue on she had wore the other night. 

She had only just finished lacing up her boots when a knock rapped at the door. 

Bianca had expected to see Angus, or perhaps Moira but Callum stood at the threshold, his large frame dominating the space. He hadn't shaved, leaving a dark shadow across his jaw. 

The Laird arched a dark brow as he looked down at her. "Expecting someone else?"

Bianca felt colour rise in her cheeks. "Yes. I was actually." She stepped around Callum, easing the door shut. 

"You will be riding with Alec?"

"Yes," Bianca glanced at the Laird with curiosity as she began to walk, intent of having some breakfast before she made it to the stables. 

Callum followed. "Good. I will be joining you."

"What?" Bianca nearly tripped over her own skirts. "Why?"

Callum walked along side her, but refused to meet her gaze. "You'll need a chaperone."

The priestess frowned as she took the stairs two at a time. "I do not believe that will be necessary."

"It would be improper not to."

Bianca shot the Laird a look. "Then send Angus."

Callum shook his head. "Angus has things to do. He can't be runnin' around fer you all day."

"And you can?" Bianca glared, turning a corner. "Shouldn't you be planning your wedding or something?"

Callum glanced her way, those icy blue eyes revealing nothing. "I can spare a few hours." His jaw worked, as if he were chewing on his words, debating whether or not to say them. "Besides, if Alec intends to court you, It should be done properly."

"He does not," Her cheeks flamed at the very thought. She pushed open the kitchen door, finding it mercifully empty. "You are absurd." 

"Am I?" Callum arched another brow before gazing about them, a strange look on his face. He mist have felt Bianca staring at him because he admitted. "I have not been here for some time."

In truth, he did look put of place among the brass pots and bags of flour. 

She didn't look at him as she busied herself with preparing breakfast. It was easier to deal with Callum if she did not have to look at him. She cracked some eggs and mixed them with milk, stirring them until they came together, making a pale yellow liquid. 

Bianca could feel Callum watching her as she worked. It was strange to know that every move was noted. That he saw how she moved lightly from one foot to another, how a coil of russet hair fell into her line of vision and how she moved to swipe it away. It felt strangely intimate, being watched the way he was watching her. But she could not bring herself to tell him to stop. 

As Bianca settled the cooking pot onto the fire, she finally turned.

Callum had taken a seat at the large wooden table, the very table where many would gather to prepare his meals. Even now, he still looked every inch a Laird.

"Do you like it here?"

The question was spoken into the silence, unexpected. It caught Bianca off guard as she stirred the pale yellow liquid.