C h a p t e r T w e n t y

Photo: Romanov family with fellow cousins in Lividia 1912

November 1912
Olga's birthday came and went. She had a vanilla birthday cake and each of us got a small peace of it. Aunt Olga kept me updated about the conversation. They haven't had it yet but it was coming close. I didn't know why all of them were taking so long to talk about it but it kept me under stress the longer they took. I didn't want my frontal lobe or any part of my brain tampered with. It was hard to think about anything else when the fact you might get unneeded brain surgery is on your mind.

I sat down at my desk drawing a flower when the Big Pair came in with a camera. "Mama requested a picture of you."Olga muttered softly. I stood up from my desk as Tatiana set up the Camera for the lady in waiting that followed them. I stood against the wall in the middle, Olga stood to my right and Tatiana to my left. We stood in the same position after few minutes the camera went off.

Tatiana took the camera and smiled at me. "Mama misses you.". "Tell her that I miss her too.". I sat back down to my sketch. "Auntie Olga said that there is a meeting taking place soon. The ladies in waiting will be watching us."Olga explained. I held my breath. "Vanya, what is wrong?"Olga asked, confused. "N-Nothing."I shakingly said. "Are you sure?"Tatiana chimed in. I quickly nodded my head while having my hands in my lap.

The big pair looked at each other in confusion. "Valentina, tell us what is wrong. We are not dumb."Tatiana looked at me. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I looked back at her piercing blue eyes, "Our Grandmother wants me to have brain surgery.". Both of their eyes widened. "W-What for?"Olga managed to say.

"She wants something done to my frontal lobe. That's the reason you came." I softy muttered. Olga took a seat next to me and wrapped her arms around me. She rested her head on my shoulder and left Tatiana standing in front of us. "Papa and Mama would never agree to this."Olga reassured.

"I'm not sure."I whispered. I looked up at Tatiana as she took her gaze off of me knowing that they were capable of those kind of thoughts.

"Let's go outside. It is nice today but we will still need our coats."Olga suggested. I nodded my head and we stood up walking to the big pairs room because they have their belongings there and brought a coat for me from Russia. While walking passed Grandmother's tea room with the grand piano I heard arguing.

"She can't have surgery! Do you want her to be mentally challenged for the rest of her life?"I heard Aunt Olga say in anger through the double doors. "But there is a chance she will go back to normal!"I heard Grandmother sharply state. "Do you ever think she was normal?"I heard Aunt Olga yell out. A long pause lasted, "Let's go Vanya."Tatiana turned back pulling me away.

We got their room where Olga was already putting on her coat. "Russian soldiers will accompany us instead of danish soldiers. Is that okay?"Tatiana asked. I nodded my head while Ella helped me slip into my coat.

When we were done the ladies in waiting and standart officers were waiting. I looked over not believing my eyes. "Misha,"I muttered softly. The big pair was already off talking to other officers. He didn't hear me nore notice that I was here. I went up and tapped his shoulder from behind. He turned around with a frustrated expression until realizing it was me.

"Valentina!"he happily exclaimed. He gave me hugged and I returned it. "I missed you so much." he said pulling away. "Oh, I apologize."he voiced. I was confused for a second until I realized what he meant it for, the hug. "You don't need to apologize for anything."I walked next to him as the group of people moved to the garden of the palace.

"How have you been?"I asked as we took a stroll around the small pond. "I've been well. I think I will be promoted to a higher ranking. "Thats cool.". He gave me a confused look. "I mean that's very nice! Congratulations!"I corrected myself. He gave a warm smile as we started to distance ourselves from the others.

"How have you been?"he questioned. I looked away from him and pondered on what to answer. "I have as been well, living here for almost two months. Its very different from Russia. The people, architecture, and clothes.". "Do you ever miss Russia?". "Yes, I do miss it there with my family.". We stopped walking and Misha turned to me. "Did you miss me?"he whispered.

I was taken back by how close we were standing. I looked around to see that there was no one in sight. "Y-Yes."I admitted. He smiled at me as he put his hand on my cheek and softly stroked it. I felt my face heat up from the affection. Back in 2018 I did have boyfriends in the past or well future, but none of them were as sincere as Misha was being right now.

"W-we don't even know each other well."I said while avoiding his gaze. "We can get to."he muttered. "I-,"

"Valentina!"I heard Tanya call out. "We should go before they get suspicious." he said taking is hand off my blushing red tomato face.