5. Off

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Tyler heard Josh ask for what seemed like the millionth time as he tied the laces up his Doc Martens. Tyler watched the chain on his pants move back and forth ever so slightly as he did so.

"Yeah," Tyler replied quietly. "I'll be alright. Just a little spooked," he forced a small smile on his face as he looked at Josh.

Josh had a guilty look on his own face. "I'm sorry, babe," he frowned.

"It's okay. Zack was probably just trying to trick us," Tyler spoke, trying to convince himself more than Josh.

"Are you mad at me?" Josh asked in a whisper.

"No," Tyler shook his head. "I love you."

Josh gave him a lopsided smile. "I love you too," he pressed a quick peck to Tyler's lips before grasping the doorknob. "I'll see you tomorrow morning?"

"Yeah," Tyler let his hand fall on the door to get ready to shut it behind Josh. "Bye, J."

"Bye, babe."

Once Josh made it to his car, Tyler closed the door and locked it. He leaned against it and let a small breath escape his lips. It was okay. Everything was going to be okay.

He saw Maddy appear at the end of the stairs. "Everything alright?" She asked.

Tyler nodded. "Uh yeah," he tugged the sleeves of his (Maddy's) sweater down to his hands and held onto them tightly. "Zack left this fake ouija board and Josh and I tried it out," he forced a laugh. "He really got us."

Maddy let out a small laugh, unaware Tyler was still freaked out. "Mom texted me and said she was on her way home. She said you weren't answering her texts but she was making chicken alfredo for dinner but was going to leave the chicken out of yours."

Tyler nodded. "Okay. Thanks. Is Jay alright?"

"Yeah. He's just playing Legos by himself in his room."

"Okay," he repeated.

Maddy offered him one more small smile before going back up the stairs. Tyler was sort of scared to be alone in his room so he sat on the couch.

Moments later, Gracie let out a meow and hopped up on the couch next to him. She purred loudly and walked circles on his lap before plopping down and tucking her head in the crook of his arm.

Instantly, Tyler felt ten time safer and let his dainty fingers card through her soft, white fur. He admired the way his yellow nail polish stood out against the pale color that adorned his cat.

He let out a small breath and Gracie looked up at him, almost worried. "Aren't animals supposed to feel weird spiritual things? Do you feel anything weird?"

Obviously she didn't give an actual answer, but she did meow and nudge Tyler's hand with her nose to get him to start petting her again.

He giggled and went back to petting her, kissing her forehead as he did so. "Guess not," he shrugged. "If you notice anything's wrong you better come tell me," he told her in a faux stern voice. He let out another giggle at his tone.

Not realizing the front door opened, he jumped when he heard a voice. "Talking to the cat again?" It teased.

Tyler looked up and let out a breath when he saw it was his mom. "Yeah..." he nervously smiled

"What's got you so jumpy?" She asked as she walked into the kitchen, setting grocery bags on the kitchen table.

Tyler held Gracie in his arms as he followed her in. "Uh, n-nothing," he replied, swallowing.