Chapter 22: I Am Warning You

Look out for the <>!
And the amazing photo was made by annabethgranger666

Two days later I woke up as pain radiated through my body. I covered my mouth, hoping that no one would hear my whimpering. Tears welled up into my eyes as I wished the pain to fade. I curled up into a ball as I wiped a sheen of sweat from my forehead. I was burning up.

Minutes ticked by until the pain disappeared. And once again I felt like myself. I frowned as I looked up at the ceiling and took a deep breath in and out. This wasn't the first time I woke up in pain. But it was coming more often. In the space of two weeks, I had experienced it three different times.

I was terrified about this new symptom. But I was also terrified to address it to anyone, so instead, I stayed silent. I pushed myself off of the bed and it felt like the world was tilted to the side. I instantly stumbled back onto the bed. I was so glad I was not planning to skate today.

I looked at my phone and saw that it was 7 AM. The sun hadn't even risen yet. But the pain woke me up and I knew I would not be able to sleep again this morning. Quietly, I slipped on some slippers and shuffled myself out of my bedroom. I hugged the wall as I walked down the stairs since my balance not coming to me.

My feet touched the wooden floor of the ground floor and I sighed in relief, knowing I didn't need as much balance to go to the kitchen for some water.

I made it to the kitchen and plopped myself on a barstool and rested my head against the marble counter top. The cool marble felt so nice against my hot skin. I think I felt more terrible now then when I was in bed. Maybe doctor Well's was right, I was pushing it too hard.

"Hey, El, is that you?" Jaimie asked from behind me.

I quickly tried to regain myself and turned to face him with a smile. It had been a while since I had heard his voice. It was no secret that since I got diagnosed, he had been a ghost that roamed the house only appearing at the corner of my eyes or when I slept. I honestly thought he wouldn't talk to me again so hearing his voice was a pleasant surprise. "Hi Jaimie. I didn't think anyone would be up this early," I said to him.

He nodded as he looked at me. He knew something was wrong. He could read me like a book. "Are you running a fever?"

"I think I am," I said, giving up any hope to cover my lie.

He gave a tired sigh as he walked into the kitchen. "We need to get some medication in you." He said and opened a white cabinet and pulled out two little red pills for me to take. He poured a glass of orange juice then gave it to me. "Here you go."

"Thank you," I said and downed the two pills with one drink.

Jaimie sat down next to me and put his hand over my forehead. I shrunk under his touch and moved my head away. As much as I wanted him back, I was hesitant, fearing that he would only turn into a ghost again. 

He dropped his hand then mumbled a sorry. Sadly, this was more contact than we had in a while. "I miss you," I said to him.

"It's been a little too hard to be around you recently," he said with a frown.

I didn't like his honesty. It stung like a slap to the face.

"You're running yourself into the ground," he said and stood up from the chair, spitting out the words like they were poison. He looked out the window and watched the snowfall outside. "I think I'm going to get breakfast, want to come?" he asked.

As afraid as I was that he would leave again, I craved his company again. I just wanted Jaimie, my brother back again. "Of course," I said even though I wasn't hungry.