Runaways in the Night

Stepping up onto the porch, Sadie and I swung the door to our cabin open, our toiletries in hand. It was maybe nine thirty at night, and although canoeing had been fun, I was more than ready for a good rest.

"Hey." Ellie glanced up at us from the top of her bunk bed, as we walked through the door, a copy of Black Beauty face down on her lap.

"Hey." I smiled back, closing the door behind Sadie and slipping my crocs off and onto the shoe rack.

Already snug in my pajamas, I launched myself up onto my bed, digging deep under the warmth of the brown and grey blanket.

"G'night guys." I whisper, turning to look over the edge of the wooden frame holding my bed up.

"Night."

It didn't take long for me to fall asleep, or at least into a subconscious cat nap, still aware of my surroundings.

Breaking me out of my daze, a knock sounded at the door, followed by Counselor Catori bursting in to do her nightly rounds. She swooped right past me, before checking in on the other five of my peers, and turning back to the door, satisfied that we were all asleep and in our beds.

"Sweet dreams, girls."

»»————- ♡ ————-««

It was two thirty in the morning, when I was whipped over the head with a pink silky pillow, my perpetrator trying to stifle a giggle.

"W-what..?" Confused and tired, I pushed myself up onto my elbows, to see one Sadie Silver leaning up over my oak bed frame.

"Sadie?" I managed, rubbing my eyes in confusion. "What are you doing?"

"C'mon." She yanked my arm, tossing me what looked to be one of her Cavetown sweaters, although I couldn't be too sure, as everything was pitch black. "We don't have much time before dawn."

Now more awake, and out of bed, slipping her sweater over my head, I asked again.

"Sadie, for the last time what are you talking about?"

She did nothing but smile, slipping on her boots, and tossing me a pair to borrow, as if I didn't own my own footwear. She then grabbed me by my wrist, and pushed open the backdoor, key in hand, pulling me out after her onto the back porch.

This is where I drew the line.

"Woah, woah, woah. We are not cruising around the grounds in the middle of the night- do you have any idea what Mrs P, or even Counselor Catori would do if she caught us?" I whispered, as she smirked and leant against the oak railing. "Besides, I don't know if you've realized this, but it's pitch black out there. We could get lost, or mauled by..a..a..a bear or something!"

With that she snorted. "We're not going to get mauled, weirdo. Besides- this may, or may not be the best night of your sad, sad life." She said, cracking a smile. "C'mon? Please? For me?" She plastered a fake sad expression to her face, as my persistence began to thin. I weighed my options. There was going with her, getting caught, and then getting kicked out of camp- or there was staying here wrapped up in my nice warm blankets, catching up on my sleep.

"You're insane." I laughed, beginning to turn back to the door. "There is no way I'm tagging along in this dangerous scheme with you, risking my spot here. You can go if you want, but I will not be throwin-"

"Hello? Who's there?!" A bright yellow flashlight illuminated part of the forest next to us, my eyes going wide, as Sadie gasped.

She looked from me, to the counselor, before shifting her weight, and looking back to me. I couldn't see much, but I could see her cherry coloured lips mouthing one word.

"Run."

As soon as she said it, I took off, leaping over the porch railing, as the counselor turned our way, accidentally illuminating his face, and showing Sadie and I that the owner of Camp Sunridge a sixty something old man, was now sprinting after us- well, I mean sprinting as much as an elderly person with a limp can.

"Oh my god what did you get us into." I whimpered, Sadie running quickly beside me.

"Shut up and run!" She half giggled, half whispered, now forking off right, down the steep hill towards the lake. Leaves crunched under my feet as I quickly followed after her, before she came to a quick halt, bending down behind a thick oak tree.

"Present yourselves now!" the man chasing after us continued on straight, seemingly not realizing he had just ran right past us.

As soon as he disappeared out of frame, I hesitantly stood up and made my way down to a patch of grass, to slow down my breath and regain myself.

"That was close." Sadie giggled, laying down next to me, our heads touching as we gazed at the stars, the big dipper positioned right above us.

"Too close." I bit my lip, a wave of nervousness washing through me. Quite honestly, this wasn't really my thing- I had always preferred the comfort of knowing that I wouldn't be pissing off any of my superiors, or risking things I cared about.

My heart rate increased in speed as I played over all the possible scenarios to how this night would end, when Sadie spoke up, as if reading my mind.

"Want to go for a swim to calm down?"

"Oh uh, I'm not stressed." I blushed, stuttering as I pushed myself up onto my elbows leaning over her with a smile. "Besides, I don't even have my bathing suit on me."

"First of all, yes you are. We're laying right next to each other, you're breathing like a fucking wooly mammoth, you idiot. Secondly, yes you do." She said, pulling out two black bathing suits from her hoodie pocket, with a mischievous smile plastered across her face

"Race ya."

NOTES: Ty for reading!

ᴘʟᴜɢꜱ:

𝕋𝕦𝕞𝕓𝕝𝕣: 𝕥𝕠𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕠𝕤-𝕔𝕦𝕡-𝕠𝕗-𝕥𝕖𝕒

ℙ𝕚𝕟𝕥𝕣𝕖𝕤𝕥: 𝕤𝕠𝕡𝕙𝕚𝕔𝕤𝕩𝕒𝕦𝕣𝕒

𝕊𝕡𝕠𝕥𝕚𝕗𝕪: 𝕤𝕠𝕡𝕙𝕚𝕖𝕝𝕜𝕣𝕦𝕖𝕘𝕖𝕣

𝕊𝕟𝕒𝕡𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕥: 𝕖𝕢𝕢.𝕤𝕜

𝕋𝕚𝕜𝕋𝕠𝕜: 𝕤𝕠𝕡𝕙𝕚𝕖𝕖𝕝𝕜