Boys

As I lay on my back, the stars lighting up this new hideaway Sadie had brought us to, I rolled over on my side, to glance at her.

"You know what, Sadie?" I asked, as she tilted her head to glance at me.

"What?" Her low whispering voice asked back, as I smiled.

"You're not a total dork."

With that she scoffed, her hand trailing down to meet mine, and grasping it between her smooth fingers. A moment of panic struck me, before I squeezed back, confused with the feeling that engulfed me in this moment. Suddenly, she spoke, breaking me out of my daze.

"Neither are you, Vie," She giggled, now staring right at me. "Neither are you."

We were silent for a while; all the talking being done between small glances, and gentle caresses.

Eventually, we began to whisper, giggling about jokes we had heard, or how ridiculous Mrs. P looked yesterday in her christmas cat sweater, even though it was July. Then, suddenly, Sadie reached her hand up to my cheek. Gently, my heart pounding just a little bit faster, she swept a black lock of hair behind my ear, resting her hand on the side of my face.

"You smell good," I giggled, as she smiled back at me. "Is that...blueberry?"

"Blueberry isn't a scent weirdo." She said, rolling her eyes.

"Ya, but strawberry is a scent, so there's really no reason why blueberry can't be a scent is there?"

She scoffed.

"You can't just discriminate against the other fruits, Sadie." I giggled, as I pushed myself back up onto my knees. "Also, as much fun as laying on your musty carpet was, I'm bored. Let's go exploring."

"Or," She paused, now sitting up next to me. "We cou-"

"Hey! Who's there?!" An unfamiliar voice sounded over the clearing, as movement rustled in between the trees.

I froze, glancing at Sadie as she brought a finger up to her lip, not saying a word.

Then, something strange happened. A second voice spoke, followed by a third, then a fourth, and then finally a fifth.

"Who's there?!" Now somewhat agitated and confused, the group came bursting through out of the forest, stopping dead when they saw us, illuminated by their flashlights. They looked about our age- maybe fifteen or sixteen, although I couldn't really see much from here.

"Dude," One of them on the left elbowed a taller boy, standing more in the front of the group. "Girls."

"Could you shine that thing somewhere else?" Sadie asked, somewhat flustered as she put her hand up to deflect the boy's flashlight.

"Oh. Uh, ya sure, sorry." He turned the light down towards the ground awkwardly , before looking back up at us. "My name's Ajax. But you can call me T-wheel."

"Third wheel." One of his friends smirked, ruffling his hair playfully. "I'm Mac. Nice to meet you."

"Ryder." Another boy stepped out from the group.

"Bruno."

"And I'm Clyde." The last of the group presented himself, before plopping down on the ground, his friends following.
"I'm Violet , this is Sadie." I said, extending my arm to shake the hands of our new found mystery.

"Nice." One of the boys fidgeted with a cross necklace, before looking back up at us, now confused. "What the hell are you guys doing out so late?"

"We could ask you the same question. This is the girls side of camp- do you have any idea how fast Mr. Wilkenborough would kick you out of camp if he found you guys snooping around here?"

A scoff sounded from the group of guys, as one of them slapped the boy on the back playfully.

"Anyways, we have to go. It was cool to meet you guys though, maybe we'll see you around? I'm just pretty sure I saw Mrs. P back there, and I don't want to risk anything." Clyde reminded the group, smiling at me as he spoke.

"Ya, that sounds good." I couldn't help but fluster up a bit as he talked, and honestly I think Sadie felt the same. He was quite charming.

But just as quickly as they had stormed through the brush, they were gone, running back as fast as their legs could take them.

"So," Sadie paused, once the last of them was well out of ear shot. "What do we do now?"

I tried to rack my brain for ideas, not really sure how we were going to manage to kill two or three more hours, when the perfect solution came to me.

"I have an idea." I smiled, jumping back up onto my knees, and pulling her up after me. "C'mon."

Dragging her to her feet, she followed after me out of the clearing and down around to the lakeshore, the steep winding path ending us right up against the cool lappy lake, a secluded area not many campers or staff ventured off to nowadays.

That wasn't all though- off to the left was a large wooden rack with canoes towered gently on top of it, a few years ago by staff members and residents.

"What's this?" Sadie asked from beside me, wriggling her wrist out of my hand and investigating a bit more.

"These," I said, sprinting forwards, and kicking my back leg up from the ground, as my hands grasped the top canoe with a thud, yanking myself up onto the top of the rack. "Are canoes."

"There is no way I can do that without falling and needing to go to the hospital." She scoffed.

"C'mon, Sadie, please? Please? For me?" I made fake puppy eyes as I urged her to come and sit next to me. "Pleaseeee?"

She scoffed, before backing up a little bit, and beginning to sprint, perfectly throwing herself up onto the top canoe, and leaning into my shoulder once she dropped herself into a more comfortable sitting position.

"Hey Vie?" She said, shifting herself to lie down next to me, pulling me down with her, our feet reaching opposite ends of the canoe we lay on, our faces close together.

"What?" I asked, as our noses touched gently, her hand finding a way to play with my hair. "What, Sadie?"

She didn't say anything, ignoring my question as she leaned in a little closer to me, her perfume smoking up my nostrils, wrapping her hand around the back of my neck.

And then she kissed me.

NOTES: n/a

ᴘʟᴜɢꜱ:

𝕋𝕦𝕞𝕓𝕝𝕣: 𝕥𝕠𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕠𝕤-𝕔𝕦𝕡-𝕠𝕗-𝕥𝕖𝕒

ℙ𝕚𝕟𝕥𝕣𝕖𝕤𝕥: 𝕤𝕠𝕡𝕙𝕚𝕔𝕤𝕩𝕒𝕦𝕣𝕒

𝕊𝕡𝕠𝕥𝕚𝕗𝕪: 𝕤𝕠𝕡𝕙𝕚𝕖𝕝𝕜𝕣𝕦𝕖𝕘𝕖𝕣

𝕊𝕟𝕒𝕡𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕥: 𝕖𝕢𝕢.𝕤𝕜

𝕋𝕚𝕜𝕋𝕠𝕜: 𝕤𝕠𝕡𝕙𝕚𝕖𝕖𝕝𝕜