Alive

Winger's P.O.V

I couldn't believe it. Summer was gone. The grief washed over me like an angry wave, drowning out everything else. I didn't eat. I didn't sleep that night. The slinkwings left in the morning, not saying a word about helping us. After they left, Duggard had arrived.

"The people of Huttsgalor and I would like to thank you, Rescue Riders." He said. He looked around at us, noticing the absence of Summer.

"Say, where's that green dragon? Summer?" Leyla stepped forward, her eyes red and swollen. Duggard then realized what had happened before Leyla even spoke.

"Summer is.... no longer with us." She said, her voice cracking. Duggard took off his helmet.

"I'm sorry lassie. I didn't know." He said. Magnus came trotting up beside him.

"A Rescue Runt is gone? Ha! It's about time!" He said. Before I even had time to react, Axel jumped forward. "

Excuse me, But that Rescue runt was their friend! You can't just gloat about someone's death!" He yelled at Magnus.

"Oh please, it was just a dumb animal, they die. Now I can make easier money and You flappy lizards can leave!" Magnus announced.

"ALL YOU EVER THINK ABOUT IS YOURSELF!" Axel screamed at the man. Magnus looked at him, a bit shocked.

"When I first came to Huttsgalor, you said you didn't want to take me in. You only said yes because I suggested spying on the Rescue Riders! Afterwards, when I built the mechano dragon that you BARLEY EVEN HELPED WITH, you said I would test it because I was replaceable! You took all the credit for yourself, you didn't care when I ALMOST FELL INTO A VOLCANO, and you always make me clean up after your messes! These Rescue Riders offer me more than you could ever even think about, and you just insulted their dead friend! YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT YOURSELF, AND YOU DON'T CARE IF ANYONE AROUND YOU IS HURT!! YOU DON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT YOUR OWN NEPHEW!" Axel ranted to Magnus. Magnus just stared at the boy, rage growing in his eyes.

"I don't think you should've spoken to me like that." Magnus said as he stepped toward Axel.

I leaped in front of him and chomped down on Magnus's hand. No one talks about my love the way he did! Magnus shrieked And drew back, running back into town. I flopped down on the floor, weak and helpless.

Axel came over to me, crouched down and said, "Thanks Wing." I looked at him and nodded. He understood that.

"Can I... have some time alone?" I asked my friends.

Dak nodded. I thanked him and walked out to the edge of the Roost. I looked out into the open sea. It's really beautiful, I thought. Just like her. I sat there all the way until sunset, ignoring the team's protests for me to come inside. Dak was the last one to come over.

"Wing, I know it sucks and you miss her. But you really need to come inside. It's getting really late." He said.

"No. I'm not going inside." I told him. He just sighed and walked away.

I watched as the last of the sun went down. I sat awake all night, shivering in the cold. The night seemed to stretch on forever, mimicking my sorrow. I was tired but I didn't sleep. I couldn't. Not after I watched my love die in my arms. The morning sun finally decided to rise up behind me, casting strange illusions on the water. At first I thought I had seen Summer, flying at top speed toward me. I started to cry again, knowing it wasn't real. But when I looked up, the illusion hadn't gone. It looked like Summer had gotten closer.

"Winger!" I thought I heard her voice.

"S-Summer?!" She came into full view as she got even closer. It was her, there was no mistaking it.

"Summer!" I shouted, leaping up. She flew right into my arms. It wasn't an illusion. She was really here! I spun around on my hind legs, laughing and rejoicing. Summer wasn't dead! I pulled back and looked at her.

"How?! I saw you die..." I said. She shook her head.

"I didn't die. Us fastfins can stop breathing for a short time and put the energy into healing wounds. Perks of being a water dragon!" She explained.

"I never told you?" She asked.

"No! You didn't!" I said, bursting with joy.

I wasn't even in control. My body was moving of it's own accord. I grabbed Summer and pulled her into a kiss. Her eyes widened, then closed. We stayed like that for a few minutes before I pulled back.

"Sorry! Sorry! I don't know what came over me!" I said apologetically. Summer looked taken aback.

"It's perfectly fine! If I thought you died but you didn't I would do the same thing!" She said. We were both blushing and staring into each other's eyes. Dak came out of the Roost first.

"Wing? Who are you talking t-" he stopped when he saw Summer. Then in a frantic motion he started calling the other's out.

"Leyla! Cutgro! Burper! Agxel! Get out here!" Everybody came out of the Roost, extremely confused.

"Um, Cutter, Burple and Aggro? You said our names wro-" Cutter started the talk to Dak but when he turned and saw Summer he stopped short.

"Summer!" Leyla yelled and ran toward us. She hugged Summer tightly.

"I-I thought you-" Leyla started to say but she didn't finish.

Instead, she broke down and started sobbing. Then everyone, recovering from their shock, ran down to us. They all engulfed us in a group hug, even Iggy. I smiled. Summer wasn't gone. She was alive.